Advice on painting preparation

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by richo106, Jun 8, 2018.

1. richo106

richo106 Member

Hi Guys

I have just removed some old wall paper in my house I'm renovating i was just wondering what was the best way to things. The wall paper came off relatively well and walls arnt bad just need some filling hear and there.

Do i need to clean the walls with sugar soap if im going to fill and then the whole wall down?

or do i fill and sand then clean?

Any advice would be appreciated i want to do the job once and properly

2. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

A good wash with sugar soap before you do any more. It may not look like it but there will be a lot of dried wallpaper paste residue left on the wall and it's a nightmare when that reacts with paint.
    When you've washed a section and it's still wet, slide your fingers over the surface and you'll be able to tell if there's still any paste residue due to a 'slimy' feel, then fill and sand as normal. Good luck.

richo106 likes this.
  3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Sand walls. Use zinsser gardz to seal as will neutralise the paste. Fill and make good then sand. Prime filler bits with gardz. Paint. I buy off net. Ebay is good and it goes a long way.

4. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Get someone else to do it. Been at it all day here!

5. Josh.91

Josh.91 Member

PVA & Glitter