Advice on potentially poor Door Hanging job please!!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by davejones2, Dec 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Look, he's quoted you a price to fit and finish 6 doors. Let him. Even if you got shot of him midway through you wouldn't get any good self respecting carpenter to come behind someone else's work at short notice to pick up all the cack when there's nothing appealing left on the job, just handles, latches and oil. You may end up in a worse position because the second person you hire could completely balls up the already fitted doors, refuse to replace and clear off into the sunset then you've less than what you started with.

gpierce likes this.
  2. davejones2

davejones2 New Member

Yep thats great thank you.

From my point of view i just wasn't sure if I posted up the pics of the splintered edges etc that I'd get a "whatever you do don't let him touch your doors again" type of comments if it was truly that awful.

But actually what you are saying is some making good may rectify them so I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now, particularly bearing in mind your comment above.

Thank you.

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

The job doesn't look too bad. Looks like he could do with sharp knives for his planer from Santa.

Looks like he has possibly trimmed the bottoms of the doors free hand with a circular saw.

It looks a bit rough but rescuable.

The splintering shouldn't happen but can be sanded out and any deeper splinters waxed in after finishing.

Edges can have a rub over with an orbital.

The uneven double doors bottom needs a neat straight line marking on and cutting too.

As for two hinges or three.

Two every single time for me on internals aside from firedoors. Aesthetically it looks much better.

And a very clever man explained to me once how the position of the third hinge didn't really do anything. Hence why firedoors often have the double high level hinge setup.

Jord86 likes this.
  4. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

That does it - I'm removing that bludy third hinge from all my internal doors :oops:

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I tend to fit three hinges on fire doors, bath/shower/wetroom doors and doors with glass in them - just what I was taught - never really questioned it.

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

The top hinge is in tension, the bottom in compression, and the middle, um, er, ah, well as stated earlier doesn't do very much. It does take a bit of the doors weight, and does resist any minuscule warping that in theory may happen if the door is in a steam filled bathroom for example :confused:, but really if you had a door that was that heavy it absolutely needed three then you'd fit the middle hinge six inches below the first one.

7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Instructions for all of the fire doors I've fitted say to fit the middle hinge centrally between the other two. Are there any 'rules of thumb' for their position close to the top one otherwise? You see it a lot.

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I've hung large flush fire doors in a school a few years ago, kept the third hinge 8" down from the top hinge but that was to match the existing ones there, if left to my own devices I'll keep it 6" down.

9. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

+1 to that advice.

I think the other thing to keep in mind is unsatisfactory work usually falls into one of two categories. Usually bad work is because the person who did it doesn’t have the skills to do the job properly. But sometimes poor work is done by people who can do a better job, but for whatever reason they haven’t (rushed, not on their a game for whatever reason, lazy, there’s a few. Heck the guy could even be depressed and not putting his full mind to the job at hand, I’ve been there in the past unfortunately).

Looking at the pictures i would say he probably has the skills to do a better job than he has, although I accept he hasn’t finished.

Absolutely let him finish - chances are you’ll end up with a better job even if at the end you have to point out a couple of the bits you aren’t happy with, and let him address them. What he’s done so far suggests - to me at least - that he is capable of doing it to a standard you’d be happy with. You might just need to nudge him in the right direction.

I’m usually the optimist and the soft touch to boot though, but it’s worth a shot

10. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

When using an overhead door closer.

11. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Always fit three hinges myself. It's more because the cheaper egg box doors can warp and start binding in the middle. That third hinge atleast keeps the hinge edge of the door straight.

seen it all before likes this.
  12. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Fair do's all 2-hingers. I have to 'fess the reason I fitted three to all mine is that most of the pine Wickes' doors were slightly warped to some degree.

The third hinge also 'stiffens' them up a little and makes them less 'bouncy' if you hit your head against them. :oops:

But, the third hinge is also by far the worst one to fit, so if it ain't actually needed then... :rolleyes:

13. You really need to get yourself booked in for treatment Donnie, the phychotic obsession that you have to deal with could be treated with medication or counselling.
    It shows how far gone you are now, bringing it into carpentry threads.

14. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

You seem to think you know who I am, Deleted member 11267 - you've used that name a few times now.

Who I am is an irrelevance on here; like most folk - including you - I choose to remain anon; it is my entitlement on this forum, as it is everyone else's if they so prefer.

What is completely relevant to this forum, tho', is what someone on here would do with private information if they were given it; I think it's clear that you would immediately abuse it to best serve your rancid mind.

It is clear to everyone on here why - it's a reflection of your calibre as a human being; it says pretty much everything there is to say about you. Along with your 'excrement' comment aimed at better human beings than you.

There. Thank you - it was cathartic - no medication required.

And, whether it's ok with you or not, I will continue to poke you with a sharpened Brexit stick - it's exactly what you deserve.

15. Donnie, it is you who are rancid the way you try to bring down and demean anyone who does not have the same views as you.

I have refrained from putting out your real name but stop the name calling or it might slip.

16. How could there be a truce with a low down piece of pond life like yourself.
    You are the most reviled person on this forum, with your repulsive demeaning attitude to others with a differing opinion to you.

17. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Retards to be flaming emotions on internet board, with 0 of relevance to the subject.

kitfit1 likes this.
  18. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

:D

I understand, even if your spell check on your computer doesn't.

19. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

+1
    Absolutely no need for it. In fact a response like that on another forum i belong to would get an instant perma ban for both members.

20. There should be no need for it but the biggest troll on this forum started it off again on post 12.
    He has to disrupt most threads and try to bring animosity into the forum with his brexit phobia.