Advice on Reconfiguration of pipework for shower pump

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dave Silver, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Dave Silver

Dave Silver New Member

Hi

I need to reconfigure the pipework to replace a shower pump at my flat.

The existing set up is below:
    [​IMG]
    https://ibb.co/X4rdT6H

The shower pump serves the whole 2 bed / 2 bath flat. This existing shower pump is a Stuart Turner with 15mm pipe work; and it breaks every 12 months or so, and I have just replaced it repeatedly over time - I've probably had about 5 of them in 11 years.

I want a better pump now to hopefully last longer and I am replacing with a Stuart Turner Monsoon Standard 2 Bar.

However, the Monsoon is 22mm and also the layout of the inlet and outlets are slightly different and all 4 are on top, instead of 2 on top and 2 at either end like the one in the picture, so it isn't a straight swap.

Can any one offer some advice on the best way to reconfigure this pipework with minimum fuss? Whoever installed it has put reducers on to get it down from 22mm to 15mm to fit this pump.

I have a bit of basic DIY plumbing experience so I can slice pipes, do compression fittings and install valves etc, but if for instance, I slice the 22mm pipe and just do a push fit flexible 22mm hose to a short length of copper pipe and then into the push fit connector of the Monsoon shower pump - would that work? But there isn’t much room to play with on the pipe should I make an error particularly on the outlets. The inlets I might be able to do this, and do something else for the outlets.

If I just took off the end of the 15mm connection and got a reducer flowing the other way I.e. from 15mm - 22mm and then attach it that way, would that work ok? But then I’ve got a pointless 15mm reduction in the pipe!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

They should be lasting longer than that. We need to see more of the plpework ans cylinder to be able to advise

3. Dave Silver

Dave Silver New Member

They only have a 1 year guarantee and looking at reviews of it on toolstation / screwfix I am not the only one to experience consistent failure of these around a 12 month period.
    The pipework is a raised water tank in the loft (if there can be a loft in a flat; it's basically a raised cupboard hence the need for the shower pump), and a hot water cylinder so very standard set up. The 2 inlets at either end are from the downpipes of hot and cold respectively. The 2 pipes at the top are the outlets which go to the taps.
    Cheers

4. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Need to see the draw off from the hot water tank and cold supply but from the one photo seen so far I think the pipework is at fault.

5. Dave Silver

Dave Silver New Member

I've actually got a video of the set up which I took a while ago when I had to replace the hot water feed valve from a gate valve to a full bore lever valve - but it shows the whole set up.

https://streamable.com/bir40y

The pump in the video is 2 pumps ago - and that one lasted 5 years which was a stand out and put my averages right down! Usually they last between 1-2 years. The one before I replaced the current one lasted 10.5 months...and then conked out. But it wasn't seated on the floor properly and could have vibrated itself out of life...

6. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

I to am surprised at the number of failures. The ST Showermate has a 3 year warranty and Monsoon 5 year.

I would suggest a Monsoon UNIVERSAL that way you will always get a flow starting.

Run the feeds and outputs in 22mm and if you are not handy with copper go for Hep2O plastic. The flexi hoses with the Monsoon have push fit ends so easy to mate with plastic.