Advice on 'shaving' a fireplace lintel please

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Scabbyyellow, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Scabbyyellow

Scabbyyellow New Member

The house was built in the 1930's and has a proper working chimney! But, the concrete fireplace lintel sticks out a bit and I want it flush. Have asked a builder to come round for a quote but they said they couldn't provide a competitive price.

I guess what I want to know is whether this is a tiny job, or something a bit more complex.

My simple logic suggests that as it's sticking out about 10 cm, it can't be supporting anything, so can be easily removed.

2. Scabbyyellow

Scabbyyellow New Member

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Your simple logic is unfortunately simple, it’s a lintel, it is designed to support load above. Hack off the plaster to see what you’re dealing with for a better look and approach, or ask your builder for a quote on building the wall out further to flush it up with the lintel. Either way, don’t go trying to ‘easily remove’ it otherwise you may end up with more than you bargained for.

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Like the 'walls of jericho' everything will come tumbling down!

A lot could go wrong.:eek:

5. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

It might be only sticking out by 10cm but it's probably holding up a lot more than 10cm under the breast

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Batten it out and make a false wall.

7. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

It looks to be sitting on no more than about 10mm of brick on the RHS. Maybe consider getting a builder to replace it with a new lintel and fit flush and properly supported each end.

OR dot-and-dab platserboard on the whole thing.