Advice on shoddy workmanship - hole in the bathroom floor and bathpanel

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by cammy0102, Jul 13, 2018.

1. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I do a reasonable amount of self levelling.

I just follow the exact instructions.

I must admit I usually use Wickes products. Their green acrylic primer is excellent.

It stays very sticky and really seems to grip the self levelling.

Allsorts likes this.
  2. cammy0102

cammy0102 Member

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

4. cammy0102

cammy0102 Member

Can you add tile adhesive then tiles over that stuff?

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I have used it under tiles before. I am sure it is fine for it.

6. cammy0102

cammy0102 Member

I want to have part of the path panel tiles on a magnet to have access to the plumbing under the bath (if needed, cut out the grout and silicone to remove the small part of the panel with a couple of tiles) which means there will have to be 2 aqua panels joined together. Do you have to use some sort of waterproof tape for the joint?

7. cammy0102

cammy0102 Member

Can someone comment on the joining the 2 aquapanels (both the tiles on magnets) please?

8. cammy0102

cammy0102 Member

Anyone?

9. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Joining the two aquapanels? You mean the bath panel will be made up of two separate panels side by side, and you want a way of making them 'one' whilst being able to remove them in one go?

Sheeesh.

Ok, not sure if magnets are the way to secure a very heavy tile-laden panel; I'd have thought screws with 'mirror' tops would be more trustworthy?

If you want to fix two panels together so's they're sturdy, you'll need decent battens crossing behind them both, and screwed though in to this. Not sure how many you'd need - 3 or 4?. Obviously these horizontally-running battens will then need to avoid the framework they'll then be screwed/magnetised on to.

If you are going for a removable panel, then obviously go for a very strong rigid board, and probably consider flexible adhesive and grout.

10. cammy0102

cammy0102 Member

I have no idea if magnets are the way to go. I basically want a small section of the bath panel to be removable so I can get access to the plumbing at one end of the bath without having to break the whole bath panel.
    I would have thought this would be a common thing for builders/tilers?

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Screw the tile board onto a sheet of ply.

12. cammy0102

cammy0102 Member

Sorry I'm a bit confused. Did you mean screw the 2 pieces of Aquapanel on to a sheet of ply which presumably is screwed on to the wooden frame?
    won't ply warp if water got in?

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Use WBP ply (water and boil proof).

Its not going to get sodden.

14. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Cammy, I presume you only want an access 'hatch' and not the whole panel removable in one? Because for the latter you need to understand it would be very heavy. It would also be wobbly, so you'd need to use thick board (or the tile board screwed to thicker plywood - which would be stupid-heavy).

If, instead, you want a smaller removable tiled section, you need to bear in mind that there will be a join there, and it'll be visible. I guess you could design the panel so that it has 'beading' or a decorative frame along which one will be a cover for the join?

But, everything can be done. Start here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b...nrfcAhWBbVAKHZcxBSMQ_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=579

15. LEH

LEH Active Member

Take a look at these:

http://www.schluter.co.uk/rema.aspx

I used two sets as my access panel below the bath was about 500 x 500 mm. I used a slightly smaller piece of 20mm Jackoboard on the back as substrate for the tiles. Use colour-matched silicone on the joints between the panel and the non-removable parts of the bath panel instead of grout.

Allsorts likes this.
  16. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Good plan - use matching silicone instead of grout around the removable panel; slice slice slice and offski.

17. cammy0102

cammy0102 Member

Yeah it's the former - just a small section, an access hatch, just in case we need to get access to the plumbing at one of the bath (there's bath taps + plumbing for shower mixer) you don't have to break the whole bath panel. Just cut out the grout/silicone and then open the hatch.

Is this not a good idea? I mean if it's going to cause more problems (wobbly, very noticeable), I might as well just have one bath panel and if we need in the future (hopefully won't) we'll just break the whole panel. I want it to look the same as the rest of the panel and no noticeable joints in the middle. Perhaps this is not a common thing?

18. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Yes, it's a good idea as having to break tiles just to access a tiny leak or to replace taps is crazy.

Have you not checked out the links in posts 34 and 35?

What colour grout? If white, then dead easy to match the rest of the tile grout with white silicone around the semi-permanent removable panel.

19. cammy0102

cammy0102 Member

Yep it's white. Is there an issue having grout instead of silicon in between the tiles of the 2 panels? Grout is still easy enough to cut through right?

OK I'll have a look but I think my tiler was going to use an acquapanel to build the bath panel.

20. LEH

LEH Active Member

Any decent tiler will be able to make an access panel for you so don't worry. Aquapanel is fine as it won't be affected by moisture.

From the links, this is a good example: http://www.ukbathroomguru.com/tiled-bath-panels/

The same thing can be achieved with your aquapanel. The joins around the access panel will be made to coincide with the grout joints of your tiles, but your tiler will use silicone for those. To remove it you just run a knife round the edges and pop it out. Grout would be nasty as you'd have to take it out with a multi-tool or something and risk chipping the surrounding tiles.

Allsorts likes this.