Advice on wardrobe please

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Happy Al, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Happy Al

Happy Al New Member

Hiya. As a keen DIYer my latest project is bedroom furniture. I have made wardrobes etc before using conti board with success but am now finding it hard to buy boards bigger than 610 wide unless I take 10. Would like to try veneered MDF but not to sure how good it is for screwing,doweling or gluing to edges. Any advice please.

2. jasonb

jasonb New Member

MDF will take dowels & biscutes as well as Melamine Faced Chipboard, will glue better than MFC, You will need to pilot if screwing into the edges to avoid splitting the MDF.

Most suppliers of Veneered MDF will also stock 12, 15 & 18mm thick MFC in 1220x2440 sheets so if you can't find single conti you need to look a bit harder otherwise you will only get MDF by the pallet.

Where abouts are you, may be able to suggest a supplier.

Jason

3. foxy

foxy New Member

Hi Al and welcome. If you are building wardrobes 10 boards will soon go!
    What is it you want to build over 610 wide and where are you located?

4. Happy Al

Happy Al New Member

Thanks for the welcome guys. Pick up many tips from the forum but never had the b*s to write in. I'm in Fife (Scotland). Most of the timber merchants around here only stock white MFC but appear to stock and sell smaller amounts of MDF. I only need 3 boards bigger than 610 to make doors for the wardrobe but no-one seems keen to supply these odd 3 boards.

5. jasonb

jasonb New Member

I usually try to keep wardrobe doors under 500mm, they can get a bit wippy as they get bigger and you need room to open them unless you are making sliding doors. Either way the 15mm conti is a bit thin, go for 18mm MFC or MDF or meet half way and get woodgrain MFC.

Can't help much with suppliers, i'm at the opposite end of the country.

Jason

6. Happy Al

Happy Al New Member

I'm fitting wardrobe into a reccess 1430w x 2400h. Was gonna fit sliding doors cause of space req to open hinged. By what you say I should fit 3 doors in that space of approx 500 inc overlap. I could bring the height down to 1900 (cos the wife's a midget)and have small doors above.Trust that will be okay and sorts out problem of wider boards. Think I'll stick with Conti though there are some nice finishes on MDF.Anyway I appreciate the tips from jasonb and foxy. I owe you a beer and there are some fine ales down there.

7. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

use plano door stiffeners for tall thin doors made out of mdf or contiboard

8. Happy Al

Happy Al New Member

Now I don't want to upset you any more than Screwfix has but could you eleborate on what they are (apart from the obvious) or where to source them.

9. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

hafele, is the name of the company

a suffix of dot co dot uk is a good

a prefix of world wide web helps enoumously

10. Happy Al

Happy Al New Member

Thanks mate. A very interesting and helpfull website. Don't appear to be keen to sell to ordinary blokes like me but I will try. Thanks again.

11. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Most good ironmongery suppliers will be able to get single items for you, they usually have a big thick hafale catalogue you can look through.

Jason