Advice on whacking MOT

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by harry42, Oct 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. harry42

harry42 New Member

I'm planning on laying my own patio and have put down roughly 150mm of MOT on top of the soil. After compacting this I intend to lay 20mm porcelain on roughly 50mm of mortar.

I'm planning on hiring a whacker plate to compact the MOT down but I am not sure what to do about the gap between the patio and the house that I am planning to put my drainage channel in. I attach a pic.

Since I have not compacted MOT down before I am not sure how it behaves at the edge.

Should I just lay MOT down all the way up against the brickwork, compact it, lay my slabs leaving the gap for the drainage channel, and then dig the MOT out of the channel later?

I guess I am basically asking if MOT should generally be bordered by something solid on all edges when compacting it.

cheers

Attached Files:

2. Severntrent

Severntrent Active Member

What do you propose for you drainage channel?

3. harry42

harry42 New Member

4. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

It is best to put the drain in first and then marry up the tiles to the drain. If you cement the drains in place they won't move when you compact the MOT down

5. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

6. Severntrent

Severntrent Active Member

As sospan says set up drain 1st with concrete bed and haunch (bit like they do when laying roadside kerbs) leave for a few days then MoT and whacker plate

7. stevie22

stevie22 Active Member

150mm is too much for a wacker: 75 layers would be appropriate. Moist material compacts better than dry.

harry42 likes this.
  8. Jimbo

Jimbo Well-Known Member

I was expecting this thread to be about van repairs!

harry42 likes this.
  9. harry42

harry42 New Member

Thanks for all the comments guys! - should help me get the job done. cheers.

10. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

Moist but not wet otherwise it'll just splurge around. Most supplies will have been stored outside so will be most enough at this time of year