Advice please on false ceiling in garage in a block under an asbestos roof

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Jules Sunley, May 24, 2021.

1. Jules Sunley

Jules Sunley New Member

Hi, hoping for a bit of advice please. I'm a DIYer rather than trade but pretty competent and a pretty full compliment of tools for most jobs. I have a garage in a block around the corner from my home which I have finally got around to clearing out ready to use for more than just junk. The issue with it is that it has an old asbestos concrete corrugated roof which I of course don't wish to disturb in any way. Due to this I want to put a false ceiling in, more for my own peace of mind to seal in any future dust and not feel I need to cover anything below it (planning to use for storage and bikes).

A bit of research suggests the best method would be to batten the 3 non-door perimeter walls below the roof and then run some timber across these and add in noggins so that I then have a frame to attach a sheet covering to. My questions are: -

1 What size battens should I use around the permiter (3x2, 4x2?) and how best to attach them. The walls are brick so some sort of frame fixing maybe?

2 What size timber should I use for the span between the battens (single garage width), and how should I fix them to the wall battens - should I notch to sit on top of them but be level on the underneath or use some sort of joist hanger?

3 Which sheet goods would make sense for an unheated garage in a row of garages - I'm thinking OSB may swell from moisture, plaster board maybe the same (moisture resistant maybe ok?), possibly use MR MDF but concerned about the weight and also which thickness to use. It shouldn't get 'wet' as the roof isn't leaking at present, but I don't want to have to replace this regularly if I can avoid it. The plan is to paint whatever I use white to match the walls. It doesn't need to be pretty, just functional, I just want a white box sealed from the corrugated roof. Would some sort of bitumen or other waterproofing type coating make sense to apply to the top side of the ceiling covering too (the side that sits under the existing roof) if using wood?

4 The garage is taller at the rear than at the front (standard up and over door at the front) so could I do all the above on a sloping angle lower at the front and higher at the back to not lose height at the rear (where I intend to site some shelving units) or would I need to make my frame/false ceiling level in relation to any weight bearing considerations

Sorry so many questions in one post but I would appreciate any suggestions. Once I know what materials to use then all of the above is something I can easily carry out hence wanting to DIY as it's more fiddly than anything else.

I'm just going to masonry paint the walls and will also paint the floor with garage floor paint to keep general dust down. My above questions really are just how best to 'seal in' the roof. I may also put some expanding foam around the outside of whatever sheet covering I go with just to make sure it is fully sealed and of course this would be open at the front by the up and over door so any moisture/water could escape (another reason I'm wondering if having it sloping down from back to front could also be useful.

Thanks,

Jules

2. Jules Sunley

Jules Sunley New Member

I should also ask if there are any lightweight sheet coverings anyone can think of that may be better for moisture - plastic maybe?