Advice please - Valspar emulsion left house smelling of cat urine

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by LJG, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

Clean spirit will clean brushes if you use BIN. Just soak for 24 hours. Throw rollers

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Have never used Valspar.

3. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Surely Wayners it.'s by far more cost effective to purchase an inexpensive set of brushes and throw them away rather than buying methalated spirit and spend the time cleaning them which is not always a great success!.....only my view.

fillyboy and KIAB like this.
  4. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

I don't spend time cleaning. Don't use white spirt or meths. Use clean spirit at £3.50 for 2lt. Dump brushes in that takes 10 seconds in plastic pot. Leave 24h and wash out in cold water takes another 2 mins max. Dry out. Clean spirit is just a powerful soap. Kind of. Amazing stuff. No smell either. My brushes lasts ages and the good ones take a little time to ware in. Ever brush from oil based to water based get the same treatment

5. Astramax

Where do you purchase Clean Spirit from? to be honest I have not heard of it.

6. Astramax

Found it, Hippo, Clean Spirit, will give it a go.

7. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

I buy mine from B&M stores or The range. Wickes sell but £5.99 homebase got it cheap.. bartoline clean spirit.. I'll look up Hippo as that's a new one. Emulsion or solvent paints on your brushes soak for 24+ hour then swill under the tap with water.

8. Astramax

Definitely be buying to see how it cleans my brushes out, wonder if it can be used on that acrylic bath. :oops:

9. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Brewers sell Hippo, Clean Spirit.

10. Astramax

Yeah! Yeah we know..................................your only 2 hours late with that information. :rolleyes:

11. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

:oops::oops::oops:[​IMG]

12. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

Yes

13. Andrew Innes

Andrew Innes New Member

Hi all! I have decided to create a quick survey to help everyone affected, including myself, by Valspar's terrible paint odour.

Please click the survey below to answer some very quick multiple choice questions on your experience and solutions (if any) so far.

If we can better understand everyone else's situation, then we will be more informed to take the right course of action ourselves.

Results from the survey may also help victims to push for greater compensation if they can show Valspar are insisting customers take steps that are proven to not solve the problem over the long term.

Please get involved and contribute to the survey regardless if you have found a solution or haven't even started yet! Everyone's input is highly valuable to each other and our strength grows immeasurably by sticking together and providing facts that Valspar cannot dispute.

Many thanks and good luck to you all!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Q7NCL2B

AndyN likes this.