Advice please - Valspar emulsion left house smelling of cat urine

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by LJG, Apr 17, 2017.

1. paul_12345678

paul_12345678 New Member

As an another suffer of the stinky walls I would like to try the vinegar solution, however I am unclear on the type of vinegar to use. I see so many different names on sales websites. Malt? non-brewed white vinegar? white spirit vinegar? Distilled white vinegar? What should be used?

2. mark saunders

mark saunders New Member

I used cheap Aldi white vinegar mixed with soda crystals 2 parts crystals to one part vinegar, leave for 2 hours and then wash over with soapy water, repeated twice more

Mark Smith _ NEeng likes this.
  3. Mardetark

Mardetark New Member

Problems still going on with Valspar paint ******* years on. They need suing. Can't offer what they purport, shouldn't be in business. It's as simple as that. In this new age, with the heavens aligning, the age of Aquarius, truth coming to light, I say, take away their rights to trade. Valspar are... 'no more'.

4. JRSB

JRSB New Member

Moved into new house about 8 weeks ago. Thought they'd had a cat (we have one but she'd never been in that room) and had let it pee all over the bedroom. Did the usual thing of sniffing the carpet and washing it etc. Noticed it was really strong on sunny/damp days. Google brought me here. Dismantled the shed as was old and rotten....what did I find? A big tin of Valspar paint the same colour as the bedroom. Stripped the walls of the backing paper (getting them reskimmed anyway) but they'd painted half of one of the walls under the backing paper with same paint; and it's the wall that the sun shines on (south facing room). Just applied a whole spray bottle of vinegar from Wilko. Gonna re-do that again tomorrow and get some soda crystals tonight. From the comments I've read it seems to work. Wish me luck. I'll steer clear of Valspar when we get around to decorating! In fact it's ****** me off so much I might go back to wallpaper!

Mark Smith _ NEeng likes this.
  5. Leanne heath

Leanne heath New Member

Hi There we had this problem they did eventually refund me and pay for the sealer. We’ve not been able to redo it due to work commitments and the smell doesn’t go away unfortunately. We have found keeping windows shut and curtains drawn reduce the stench . It was on bbc watchdog also x

6. Mark Smith _ NEeng

Mark Smith _ NEeng New Member

Hi everyone. I used Valspar paint recently and awful smell - the room gets sun and is warm. Spoke to B&Q and they gave me BIN and some more Valspar (even though I did not want any). Applied the BIN and repainted and guess what - the smell is back!

Just looking for advice on the vinegar so hopefully somebody picks this up and confirms it has worked!

Did you apply distilled white vinegar direct to the walls first then soda crystals mixed with water after? Or was it a vinegar and soda crystals combination? Any instructions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Mark

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I thought it was distilled vinegar and water 50/50
    Or cleaning vinegar bought on Internet.
    Don't remember soda being used as that's a strong cleaner and may effect the paint. Odd that this is still going on after all these years

8. Chris Nick

Chris Nick New Member

i see many people have used the vinegar cleaning (with or without soda) - did the smell ever come back or is it fixing it for good?

myself just joined the boat of people having the terrible smell - and to make it worse i am about to move out of the flat, did repaint the hallway to make sure it is going to look perfect.

9. Chris Nick

Chris Nick New Member

just a quick update: i did try the vinegar wash. did sort of help but it did not fix it. 2 days later i could not take it anymore, bit the bullet and purchased the dulux trade stain blocker. i did apply 2 coats, 1 hour distance as per valspar instructions. i have done that on tuesday afternoon/evening. so far it smells quite strong as the blocker but i am not sure if the valspar stench has gone or not. i almost dread to apply paint next tuesday as it may re-activate the smell....

did anybody used the dulux stain blocker to get rid of the smell? did it work? long term? how bad was the lingering blocker smell?

10. Chris Nick

Chris Nick New Member

pondering if to do 1-2 more coats of dulux trade or try zinsser over dulux...

11. jackson92

jackson92 New Member

We’ve just painted our front door (which is in a closed corridor) our corridor smells of cat urine and we are concerned its related to this valspar issue but are struggling to identify it. When we smell the door itself the scent isn’t stronger so unsure if its the source. Also, the corridor is closed and gets no sunlight, can anyone advise how you identified it was the paint?

12. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Remove door and place in another room and see if that smells or cover door in plastic to trap smell

13. jackson92

jackson92 New Member

Would you expect to actually smell it on the door? Like when I put my nose right too it I still can’t smell it?

14. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

It was only mixed instore paint that smelt back when the problem was around so I understand. People turned up instore and put stuff in all the bases to stop it going bad when shaken in when mixed.

Which paint did you use?

Oil based gloss and stain stinks these days across all the brands so I don't use.