Advice please

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by mikeyhall1, Nov 18, 2018.

1. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 New Member

Good afternoon everyone, and thank you for having me join this forum.

I’m just needing some advice please... I’m a very capable DIY’er and I’m going to fit two external sockets spurring from two different sockets on the down stairs socket ring, drill through the external wall and connect with 2.5mm T&E.

The external sockets I will use are the Scewfix 13A double sockets with built in RCD - for extra protection.

External power is required for Christmas lighting and general gardening activities, so all sounds ok so far?

I have now been asked by the good lady “can we place the tumble dryer outside, in a weather proof ketter style shed and power that from the external socket?”

So my question is.... is that ok? or will that be too much of a load on the spurred external socket?

Thank you for your time, Mikey.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not a good idea, any water left in dryer could freeze,neighbour did same,spilt water tank & some other damage to dryer.

3. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 New Member

Thank you, that’s very much worth thinking about.

Any ideas on the electrical load?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Maximum load off a spur is 13A (Approx 3kW).

5. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

Do you have RCD protection in your CU? If so, you don't need rcd sockets as they give no extra protection.

seneca likes this.
  6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hello mikey, welcome to the forum.

You may not need the built in RCD protected weatherproof sockets. Your circuit should already be protected by a 30mA RCD on the consumer unit. If it isn't then use the ones with RCDs.

The sockets could be used for a tumble drier. The merits of doing so with regards to external factors would probably be worth thinking about, but, there is no restriction on the socket as regards load limitation. Its no different to plugging it in to one of the internal sockets in the house.

7. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Plenty of people put tumble dryers in sheds without any bother, however I'm not sure how safe it would be regards the earthing, if its a PME supply you would be basically exporting the earth/neutral connection to a big metal box sat right outside, probably something of nothing but you never know.

8. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

A tumble drier installed outside, even in an enclosure, would deteriorate cosmetically, mechanically and electrically very fast I would think. Father in law put his in the garage a couple of years back now it's basically scrap!