Advice please!!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Pilgrim Nut, May 1, 2020.

1. Pilgrim Nut

Pilgrim Nut New Member

I have a 32mm waste pipe from a sink joining a 110mm vertical soil pipe with a strap on boss. The joint is leaking between the boss face flange and the soil pipe surface.
    The joint is under the first floor floor panels, in a corner against blockwork, between joists, there is another strap on boss adjacent plus hot and cold water pipes - access is extremely limited!! I can't see or feel the strap on tightening fixture to adjust.
    Is there a sealant that I can put over the joint? would a long jubilee clamp (if I can thread it through!) plus a sealant secure the leak? The sink waste can be very hot so I am assuming some flexibility may be required.
    The soil pipe continues downstairs and is boxed in, the leak has damaged the carpet and removing the box-work and coving has damaged the decoration so I am looking for a good long term secure fix!
    Any advice welcome, thanks, John.

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Show some pics John.

3. Pilgrim Nut

Pilgrim Nut New Member

Thanks, I'll try and light the area and get some taken.
    Cheers

4. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Got any insurance cover for water leak's ?

5. Pilgrim Nut

Pilgrim Nut New Member

Area.jpg Joint.jpg
    Hi Terrymac. The first picture shows the area where the joint is. To the left and behind is the block wall, on the right is the floor paneling. The waste line is white.
    The second close up of the join shows the strap on fitting. While the 32mm is chipped where it connects to the boss that's not the leak. The leak is between the face of the boss flange and the 110mm soil pipe at the underside.
    The light below is coming up from the room below through the ceiling. I can cut the ceiling back a bit more which would give about 3" more access on two sides.
    Cheers
    John

6. Pilgrim Nut

Pilgrim Nut New Member

I'd need to check the wording of the policy. If it's beyond my skills and I actually need to renew the soil pipe I'd have to call in the experts. It would be a fairly major undertaking to fit new, reconnect all, repair floors, refit toilet and hand basin, box in, repatch plaster and coving and redecorate!!
    Plus with the current lockdown I'm in 12 week isolation as extremely vulnerable it could all become a pain in the derriere!
    Thanks
    John

7. Pilgrim Nut

Pilgrim Nut New Member

I can post larger images if required.
    John

8. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Access certainly looks difficult !! Can you reach all around the circumference where the leak is ? If you can dry it thoroughly ,apply solvent cement to the affected area ,it may seal it up.

9. Pilgrim Nut

Pilgrim Nut New Member

I've just modified a small garden tool handle to hold a hold a cut off hacksaw blade (where would we be without bits of hacksaw blade!) so I can cut more of the ground floor ceiling away in a tidy fashion, that will give easier and probably all round access to the joint.
    If I clean thoroughly with white spirit and leave to dry then use a solvent cement you think it may "rebond" the two together?
    What solvent cement would you recommend? It's not something I've used before and I'll have to find on line.
    Thanks
    John

10. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

11. Pilgrim Nut

Pilgrim Nut New Member

Thanks Teki - I see neither are available for delivery! I will have a look for something similar where they might deliver or else persuade a friend to drop in and pick up from my local Screwfix.
    John

12. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

As it's a solvent, there are restrictions on shipping/delivery. I don't think it can be sent via Royal Mail and not all couriers will allow solvents to be sent.

It should be available from a local plumber's merchant, DIY stores and Amazon also has various ones.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  13. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

I would use the floplast ,it's thicker consistency than a lot of other brands .
    Not being able to see the actual leaking point ,or the size of the gap between the two surfaces ,I would apply it in more than one go. So brush it on ,and push up in between gap. Leave to dry for ten minutes. Apply again ,leave ten mins and apply a third time.
    Screwfix are doing a click and collect service. Order on line ,collect from store.
    B&Q also sell it and their stores are open.

14. Pilgrim Nut

Pilgrim Nut New Member

Thanks Terrymac. I'll order some, prepare the area, clean and apply. The crack appears to be very narrow, when I cut away the ceiling I'll get a better idea, but I'd suggest 0.2mm-ish, I suspect it opens with the hot water.
    It'll take a day or two to source. apply and test but I'll report back in due course.
    Thanks to all.
    John

15. Pilgrim Nut

Pilgrim Nut New Member

Thanks Teki

16. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

How easy is it to detach the other end of the pipe attached to the boss?

17. Pilgrim Nut

Pilgrim Nut New Member

It will mean removing the hand-basin and pedestal and cutting out a section of floor. I was thinking of rerouting this anyway as it is soooo rigidly fixed I suspect that any movement from expansion due to hot water must be putting pressure on the strap on boss.
    john

18. Pilgrim Nut

Pilgrim Nut New Member

Thanks Terrymac - job done and watertight again. I did reroute part of the 32mm waste line to allow it some more play.
    Cheers, John.

19. Pilgrim Nut

Pilgrim Nut New Member

Cheers, thanks for the advice, job done!
    John

20. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Thanks for coming back with an update, would be good to see some photos of your handy work!