Advice re external painting of a garden fence

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by JJL74, May 3, 2021.

1. JJL74

JJL74 New Member

Morning,

I've offered to paint my neighbours fence as she has been let down quite a few times. I'm not a pro when it comes to painting, but feel I'm OK, but struggle re paints types, prep, etc.

At the moment it's painted with Ronseal one coat dark oak fence paint, but she would like to change colour to grey.

I've been told to power wash first then use a grey masonry paint, would that work?

Any advise would be most appreciated, thanks.

James

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Screwfix have the Ronseal one coat and the Ronseal Fence Life plus available in Slate Grey and Charcoal Grey both have very good reviews......the masonry paint may work but why chance it on a job for someone else, the previous coatings may contain waxes so masonry will not stick to it in the long term.....after all it's not called masonry paint for nothing.

JJL74 likes this.
  3. JJL74

JJL74 New Member

Many thanks, do you think I can skip the power wash then?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What state is the fence in as regards being clean, is it covered in green algi mould etc

If not a thorough brush down with a stiff bristle brush will be a good move.

5. JJL74

JJL74 New Member

Thanks, no it's in reasonable condition thanks...probably two coats though...