Advice re: reinstating plaster finish to back to brick hallway 1920s semi

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by ELK81, Apr 13, 2021.

1. ELK81

ELK81 New Member

Hi.

We've just had some very intrusive renovation started to our hall and landing too get rid of damaged Chrysotile containing skim coat that was on top of old blown lime render.

I can't decide if we've gone overboard but it was damaged and blown in several places including behind a hall radiator and on walls we passed all the time.

We have a plasterer who insists dot and dab plasterboard is the way forward for our limited budget and says we can't fit insulation as the stair string prevents the thickness required even at 25mm combined with 12mm plasterboard if we tried to batten all down the stairs, which is north facing, fairly sheltered and solid brick (1925 semi).

I've read about lime plaster for old houses but we can't afford it by the sounds of it, as have a 4k budget and also we'd need to build a fake stair string if we wanted to insulate, which our plasterer said would be very expensive.

The house is freezing and costs 6.50 a day for gas and elec combined in Winter and cold weather.

Any advice?

Attached Files:

2. John9857

John9857 Member

I for one like dot n dab and it is forgiving to uneven walls etc. It's quick, efficient, and effective. It's also proven and works! I would let your contractor use a method he's familiar with and just ensure it's applied properly and not bodged or corners cut.