Advice - Replacement Roof Window

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by rob11, Sep 27, 2021.

1. rob11

rob11 New Member

Just after some advice for some work I've recently had completed.

The job was to replace a roof window. The roofer said he couldn't get the same size window so there may be some plastering work to do internally afterwards. There are rotten timbers which have been left which I would have thought should have been replaced before fitting the window.
    Thanks in advance for any advice

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If he's just quoted you to replace a roof window, then that's what you've received. Once the rafters were uncovered and the condition assessed, it would have been prudent of him to give you the option of repair/replacement for an extra cost, it would have also been a lot more work to undertake and added upheaval. Roofers generally do not make good internally or plaster.

3. rob11

rob11 New Member

Thanks for your help

4. ejenner

ejenner Active Member

Can't really see any rotten wood? Are you talking about the old dark looking rafters? They look fine in the pictures.

5. rob11

rob11 New Member

Yes, it's the dark wood just underneath where the handle is.

6. ejenner

ejenner Active Member

Oh.. I see it now.

Did you ever discuss the possibility of increased costs or was it one of those situations where increased costs wouldn't have been allowed? If the latter then you shouldn't be surprised but at some point in the process if he's a good bloke he should have given you the option of replacing that section (at a cost of course).