Advise Needed - Concerns on Building

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by goldeneye78, Jul 4, 2018.

1. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

This is where the communication may have broken down between yourself, architect, builder and BCO. The BCO is probably only concerned with what is being built now and won't sign off anything for the future because the plans can change.

The architect has probably designed the foundations for the future.

Whilst the builder is only looking at what he must deliver to get his money.

Personally I like to over engineer foundations for the very instance you have there. A BCO will always be happy if you exceed the specification for the foundations. Trying to make foundations wider/deeper after they have been cast is a real nightmare

2. goldeneye78

goldeneye78 New Member

Hi all,

Is below image normal? Background story:
    1. Builder bought xtratherm insulation - the installation is different than lets say celotex. xtratherm needs the walls to be tight rather than leaving the standard 50mm gap, like other insulation.
    2. builder didnt know - so when i forwarded the pictures to xtratherm, they told me its not the right way and guided how the right way should be.
    3. to accomodate the right way, he is now starting this way.

This is how it looked before
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After talking to xtratherm and him, he now did this....

[​IMG]

Q - what is the impact or any problems??

3. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

To me that is not acceptable,the muck would have been easy enough to clean off the bottom two courses.
    You now have the rest of the blockwork corbled on the two bottom courses where there is no need.
    The plasterer is also going to have dub the plaster or render out an inch before he can even get a scratch coat on the bottom two courses.

4. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

To be honest, I don't think it is going to be a successful project between the builder and yourself

KIAB likes this.
  5. Dam0n

Dam0n Active Member

Does that look right to you? I would also want the boards taped or at least butted properly together as you have some massive gaps between each boards.

The whole thing looks awful and I would be seriously considering getting a new builder in and canning this monkey.

6. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Not a acceptable standard of work,think you should end the contract with your builder,as things will only go downhill, as the build progresses, plus what else will he bodge.

You spoke with BCO about standard or work,etc,I'm afraid it's time to look for a new builder.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  7. jonathanc

jonathanc Active Member

Terrible. No pride in their work.

Look you paid for building reg plans and I presume your builder quoted for those plans. He should build to plan or not get paid.

This is rough cut and cover stuff going on

KIAB likes this.
  8. goldeneye78

goldeneye78 New Member

ok thanks for advise all, tbh, i am quite lost in this and i am not sure how to move forward with this. we have just made our 2nd payment a week ago and from above, obviously this is not looking great. looks like i have to speak to the builder to part our ways.

9. jonathanc

jonathanc Active Member

What break clause do you have in your contract with the builder? I presume you do have a contract (sometimes JCT is used)

10. goldeneye78

goldeneye78 New Member

This is where i am going to be getting backslash from the team here, and rightly so I deserve it. We don't have a written agreement/signed agreement. As mentioned previously, he works by word of mouth and it was an oversight from us to sign an agreement. (Ok, ready to get the backslash now).

Colleagues
    I am in desperate seek of help. So before i was about to have a word with him, the BCO visited our property and he was full of praises of this guy's work to my amusement (Not amazement!). But the BCO hardly did any physical checks. He stood at one place had eye contact and he thought the builder has done a good job, despite of the photos above was visible to him. This is despite of my observation being different, for example no consistency in the mortar between the bricks, mortar falling off after it dries of etc. But it doesnt seemed to be of a concern to the BCO, he echoed to the builder - that, those cracks/holes were good, as when the builder does plastering, it will fill the gap and becomes "key" to make the joints stronger.

Being concern on this, we asked one of our neighbour who is a builder by trade (25 or years) to evaluate this work. Unfortunately we couldnt use him as he had too many jobs lined up. And these were the following comments which I require clarification/help.

1. consistency of size of mortar between the joins.
    2. for every 4 course, there should be EML.
    3. due to severe heat conditions, it was advisable that the bricks should have been wet or given a "wash" to ensure the joins do have a bit of moist, otherwise they would have cracked.
    4. the DPC in internal wall should be 150mm lower than floor level.

Is there anywhere / websites i can do a bit more research and reading?

Thanks

11. goldeneye78

goldeneye78 New Member

ps: he is also FMB registered

12. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

13. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

I presume the FM bit is the same as in FML.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  14. goldeneye78

goldeneye78 New Member

yes, i am planning to take a formal complaint but the procedure is first write to him, wait 10 days response if dispute not resolved then go to fmb

15. jonathanc

jonathanc Active Member

Don't faff around with the FMB and formal complaints. Write to him and set out the reasons for termination and say it is with immediate effect. Nothing he can do as working on the basis of verbal contract.

FMB will just bog things down