Advise Please !!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by spindle, Mar 26, 2007.

1. spindle

spindle New Member

Hi All
    I am replastering a ceiling and i have taken down a landing light now i have a question there are three black wires going to natural one red going to live and one earth, i turned off the downstairs lights at the mains unit and this turned the light off. When taking the wires out of the connector block i got a belt, was this wired right and have i done something wrong?
    Thanks for your time.

2. EH59 AMP

EH59 AMP New Member

sounds like a borrowed neutrel from the upstairs circuit. turn the upstairs lights off too.

3. Home Farm

Home Farm New Member

Landing lights often (wrongly) use borrowed neutrals so that your downstairs and upstairs lights are connected.

To be safe turn off the whole mains unit while you reconnect the light. There should be a label saying 'Main Switch' next to the isolation switch.

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

5. EH59 AMP

EH59 AMP New Member

it very common in older houses (or new persimmons houses) , especially if its wired in singles.

6. fuze-box

fuze-box New Member

Time to get those rubber gloves and wellies on matey!! you wont get a belt then.

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Please read page 3 section 5 of the PDF.
    Also it is a direct Health and Safety issue.

8. spindle

spindle New Member

Thanks for your replys.
    What would have to done to make it safe in the future ?
    Does it mean a lot of work and money

9. X

X New Member

Maybe even a neon secrewdriver would of helped in showing that a wire was 'live'...

Or the practice of using insulated tools and not touching bare wires ...