Aga tings

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Ozwald Cobblepot, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Ozwald Cobblepot

Ozwald Cobblepot New Member

Has anyone assembled or even owned an Aga and noticed the gap between the hot plate and ring when oven is cold.

Am I right in saying that the gap will close when the hot plate heats up and expands? Cheers!

IMG_20181025_215750.jpg IMG_20181025_215728.jpg .

2. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

I guess it will. The ring will also expand a little when hot.

3. teabreak

teabreak Well-Known Member

I would think so otherwise the enamel would get damaged.
    In the traditional farmhouse kitchen with dogs, mud, an old wooden table to prepare food on and stuff everywhere a bit of grot down the side of the burner wouldn't be an issue I guess!:D

4. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

As I recall, the gap is to stop the adjacent casing getting as hot as the hotplate.

I'm trying to remember if there is meant to be something to fill the gap and stop debris falling in.

5. fostyrob

fostyrob Active Member

Yes the gap is normal or at least it is the same as ours.

I guess it is to as you say to compensate for thermal expansion.

When cold if you push down on one side of the outer ring it can be lifted out. The space underneath it packed out with a dense glassfibre that periodically gets topped up as it gets compressed. The stuff sold by Aga is just like slightly denser rockwool but like all Aga stuff more expensive. Normal rockwool works fine!

When putting it back there are 3 or 4 holes to line up and it just drop into place.

6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

The top plate of the AGA is cast iron with no machining on the hole in question. This process is inherently inaccurate as the metal will distort a little when cooling takes place, also the mould may vary. the gap is to allow for expansion and to allow for any dimensional differences or roundness.

7. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

We have had a 4 oven OEB for more than 30 years and the gaps are an inherent part of the Aga hot plates. Ours is NEVER off - even in summer and we have only removed the hot plates once to clean the insides of the burners which wasn't required. You don't say which fuel type yours is - is it a new total control which is still under construction - no hot plate lids or doors in place yet?. Don't worry about the irregular gap. The outer concentric ring can be simply quickly lifted off with oven gloves. The burners can be shuffled back to the centre with something soft ( a wooden block on the edge and a gently thump with your fist - replace the outer ring and check for concentricity. The rings have a tiny groove in the outer edge which should line up with the lid hinge. Your boiling ring looks a little 'out' but your installer will no doubt shuffle this into place before firing up. The only replacement we have needed over the years was a seventy quid tempomat. That's it. I service and maintain it (its oil) myself. It isn't difficult. After more than 30 years we would never swap our Aga! Do get back if its any help. Cheers

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018