AGM lead acid battery charging (VRLA)

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by MGW, Jul 19, 2020.

1. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I have a mobility scooter, the batteries had clearly gone, so fitted new, before fitting I put the batteries on charge using a Lidi 3.8 amp battery charger as once fitted to charge means getting the scooter in doors to plug in. I selected standard car charging option for 2 x 35 Ah batteries in parallel.

However on fitting the batteries the scooter would not get out of the drive, volt meter on scooter showed low, but it is a steep drive, so had to drag into house to charge with scooters battery charger as 24 volt this time.

Moblity Scooter.jpg This is the input to the charger, it seems clear they were not fully charged, or it would have shown 9 watt (375 mA) much earlier, the 1.4 amp (32 watt) is not really high, but considering batteries should have already been charged it does seem a bit odd.

So maybe the short try has caused the batteries to take more charge, but they were direct from Tayna batteries so would not have expected them to have been in stock long.

I now note the Lidi charger has 3 user selected options, under 14 Ah, 14 to 120 Ah, cold conditions and AGM batteries. The latter raises the volts from 14.4 to 14.7 is that why the batteries were not fully charged, does the AGM battery need that extra voltage?

To my mind with a sealed battery expected a lower not higher voltage, has anyone got knowledge on this type of lead acid battery?

2. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

What does the battery manufacturer's datasheet recommend for charge voltage? If the battery is periodically charged and discharged, often a higher voltage is used. It also charges faster but shortens the battery life.