Air admittance Valve

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by boswellali, Aug 2, 2005.

1. boswellali

boswellali New Member

I am currently gutting my en-suite and have found the soil pipe behind a stud wall rising into the loft.

Is it possible to cut the soil pipe right down to floor board level thus opening up the wasted space from the stud wall.

There is already some type of air valve on but this is in the loft, could i fit the one advertised in screwfix (i.e.no escape of foul gases) and still be within building regs guide lines

Thanks for any advice

2. iprwolf

iprwolf Member

im not 100% but I think that it has to be at minimum above the flood line of what its connected to !I E : water height in cistern, if thats the highest point and only connected to bog ? although, its arguable that the U bend is, but think any BCO will say flood at cistern level.

3. screwfox

screwfox New Member

iprwolf is correct, the air admittance valve (sometimes called a Durgo which is a trade name) has to be higher than the flood level of any appliance connected to the soil pipe, usually the basin overflow.

HTH

4. building control

building control New Member

and you need an clear vent on the head of the drain a "Dago" will not do sorry.

5. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

So If I understand you correctly you are saying that there must be at least one other standard vent pipe in the property. I have always believed this to be the case also.

6. building control

building control New Member

7. iprwolf

iprwolf Member

I also believe so, BCO said so, and so thats what I must do, I thought I could get away without coming through extension roof, but MUST be vented, I Know, not what it says on the valve, but thems the rules !!!!!