Air lock in skirting board radiator with no bleed valve

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by JLD4608, Feb 8, 2019.

1. JLD4608

JLD4608 New Member

I have recently fitted a Thermaskirt skirting radiator in my second floor bedroom. It's in a pressurised system (combi boiler) with some other tradiational radiators (on the first floor), but it's the highest point in the system. When fitting it, I didn't realise it doesn't have any sort of bleed mechanism. Once the system was filled and pressurised, all the other rads heated up nice and toasty, but there is an air lock in the skirting one that I can't seem to clear. There is clearly some water going up to it as it gurgles periodically, but it's not getting warm (presumably because it's full of air). Any tips on how I can clear the air from it short of draining down the whole system and installing some sort of bleed valve? Any tips or advice greatly appreciated!

2. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Have you tried turning off the valves on the working radiators ? and run the boiler on central heating only it may offer enough pump force to start circulation around the new circuit.
    Depending on which boiler is fitted,it may try to overheat and need resetting ;)

Seen them skirting units before and they always have initial filling/air removal ache's..

once the air is removed they dont need any other air release points but they do offer a gurgle now and then when the pump starts. the existing system may need rebalancing but see how it goes.
    ;)

3. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

As above but you could turn the boiler thermostat to minimum.
    Then just let it run a while. See if that helps.

4. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

where the bleed valve would go is there a blanking cap if so slightly loosen the cap to let the air out.

5. JLD4608

JLD4608 New Member

Thanks Teach; there is another bug in the system so it looks like I shall have to drain down and refill anyway. I'll fill this segment first this time. Good to know I'm not alone in having filling snags!

6. JLD4608

JLD4608 New Member

Thanks but there no blanking cap; that's the problem! They're not designed to be bled at all.

7. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Is there any space on the pipework (maybe in a cupboard) to fit vents before it joins skirting.

8. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

The skirting heating (not thermaskirt) i came across years ago,had to be adapted to include a compression coupling in the flow pipe connection section,loosening the coupler nut was enough to clear sufficient air to begin circulation.

There was a manual air vent on the end of the skirting run but it was so corroded & messed around with so it was best left alone. Have a check on the final connecting pipe link for a pozidrive screw o_O

9. Martin Wadsworth

Martin Wadsworth New Member

Hi:
    Martin from DiscreteHeat here, manufacturers of Thermaskirt.
    The return manifold at the end of the run has a small bleed screw to aid bleeding.
    Most of our engineers however tend to shut down all systems except the one with the air and a towel or standard radiator. Then run the heating full bore for 15 minutes and that usually forces the air into the rad which can be bled as usual.
    You can see some video instructions on our YouTube channel " Thermaskirt pro guide".
    If it returns it could be an issue elsewhere so consider fitting an auto vent or better still a spirovent aerator or similar. We can supply them if required.
    Thanks.
    Martin Wadsworth
    Managing Director
    Www.discreteheat.com