Airing Cupboard Options in Bedroom?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Mallon, May 9, 2018.

1. Mallon

Mallon New Member

Ive just bought my first house and getting ready for the main bedroom to get reskimmed by a plasterer.

There is an existing airing cupboard in the bedroom. What is the best option to make use of this space?

The width cannot be changed as one side is stairway and other is outside. The height could be opened up .

What would be the best way to do this? Would it need a lintel? Budget is a problem so if its going to cost a lot may have to leave it as is and put new door on when reskimmed. The door way is W760 H1840 . Height to ceiling inside is 2400 so would gain approx 500.

thanks shaun

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Not worth the effort & expense just to gain a extra 500mm.

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

as an aside
    general understanding off an airing cupboard is a space generally with a heat source like a boiler or hot water tank underneath with fairly open often slatted shelving over the top not being pedantic [awkward] but what you have looks like a small not very useful cupboard so extra costs or effort probably wont be good value
    suspect a more brutal "opening " may give more useful space assuming the understair space to each side is not well used

4. Mallon

Mallon New Member

Right think you guys have made up my mind. Ill put some better shelving in it stick a door on it and leave it as that.

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

for the space above the door frame top aim for side shelves at about 20% each side to allow a bit off room to get up to and use the shelves up at the top

KIAB likes this.
  6. Mallon

Mallon New Member

Thanks Al that makes sense

7. mr moose

mr moose Active Member

Is it brick above at the front? If not, I would open it up to the top as the whole thing is going to be skimmed anyway.

8. fostyrob

fostyrob Active Member

Why not just take out or adapt the shelving, stick in a hanging rail and make it into a wardrobe thereby freeing up space elsewhere in the room by not needing another one. Obviously this is dependent upon how many clothes you or partner possess as ultimately the space is fairly limited.

9. Mallon

Mallon New Member

I don't think its brick above as when I knock. it sounds quite hollow. I might just chisel a bit out see what's behind. What's the best way to frame the new opening for plastering.

10. mr moose

mr moose Active Member

Take off the architrave, cut the opening out in line with old, let plasterers take care of the edges Fit new architrave Job done