Airlock expertise please

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by suki25, Apr 2, 2021.

1. suki25

suki25 New Member

Hello first time poster, at my wits end.

I’ve no hot water from kitchen mixer tap and no water from both hot and cold bath taps and upstairs sink taps. The toilet was also not flushing.

I tried occluding the kitchen tap method which got the toilet working again at least.

I’ve tried the old vacuum on the bathroom taps trick with no luck.

Could some kind soul explain what is going on and how I can go about fixing it please. Thanks!

2. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

Have you checked to see if there is any water in the cold water storage cistern? Almost certainly in the loft.

terrymac likes this.
  3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Did this just l happens or have you had some plumbing works do recently?

4. suki25

suki25 New Member

hi Andy, thanks for your reply. yes there’s water in the cold water storage cistern, appears to be ok

Toilet again stopped flushing yesterday and unfortunately occluding the kitchen mixer tap isn't helping

To summarise, currently no hot or cold water or flushing toilet in bathroom, no heating, and no hot water from kitchen tap.

I’ve realised the one sink in an upstairs bedroom is working - water is coming out of the cold water tap but nothing out the hot.

Does this mean the airlock is isolated to the bathroom taps? Wondering whether to try the attaching the hosepipe from the kitchen tap to the bathroom taps method

5. suki25

suki25 New Member

Hi Nigel, the bath taps stopped working a long time ago, didnt look into fixing it as I’ve an electric shower (which is still working). Can’t remember anything specific triggering that.

Had no plumbing works in at least last 2 years.

The bathroom sink taps stopped working week or so ago. Only recent thing is a gas engineer who looked at the boiler downstairs in the kitchen last week but didn’t open it up as far as I’m aware.

I’d really appreciate any advice anyone can give

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

So, your central heating is not working ,and there is no water coming out of hot or cold taps in multiple places ,bath ,basin , sink and toilet ,but kitchen tap gives cold water ,is that all correct ? If so check the outlets in loft tank for blockage .
    Did gas engineer establish why heating isn't working ?

7. suki25

suki25 New Member

Yes that’s right. Toilet working now after occluding kitchen tap again but very low pressure flushing. A friend checked the loft tank - he said tank is full and outlets have no blockage

He also said there was no water in hot water tank in cupboard. Not sure if this means this is where the airlock is?

The gas engineer just came to fix a smart meter, which he said he couldn’t due to lack of space. He said the boiler was very old and that he was unable to have a proper look at it.

Do you think I need to call a plumber or gas engineer? Not sure this is a problem I can fix myself anymore

8. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

How old is the house?

I had this problem in my place (2000 build) because the crappy plastic pipes were rammed in wherever they fitted, with no regard for how gravity worked.

Personally I'd connect a short length of hose to the header tank filler, and poke it into the outlet (being bloody careful to avoid any sharp edges). Open all the taps, push the ballcock down and let the mains pressure water blast through any air in the pipes