Alarm Beep During Covid-19 - Help!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by LynneR, Mar 23, 2020.

1. LynneR

LynneR New Member

Any help massively appreciated!
    My elderly folks are self-isolating and of course now's the time the alarm they don't use in the bungalow they just bought has started to beep intermittently.
    It's an A1 Omnicron 8000. We think there has been a power cut locally but none of their main power switches tripped and the green light for the mains is on to the alarm unit.
    I've tried an engineer reset using 9999 then 0 from the manual and it seemed to delay the next noise for a little while but that's all.
    Not sure what else to try and understandably engineers aren't available to call around at this time. I don't want to put my folks or an engineer in any danger.
    The only other suggestion was to remove the bell battery, alarm battery and disconnect from the mains to reset it but I don't think we can manage step 1 and I don't want to make it worse and set off a full on alarm. The intermittent beep is just audible in their home at the moment.

2. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Sounds like you have activated the door bell feature, do you have the user code, remember fitting these panels in the 90s

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  3. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Is the beep from the internal speaker? If so, as a stopgap, you could open the panel (you have the engineer code) and disconnect the speaker, this is always on the understanding that you you know enough to be electrically safe while doing this.

4. LynneR

LynneR New Member

Thanks, but they don't have the user code

5. LynneR

LynneR New Member

Thanks, it is the internal speaker in the alarm unit that's beeping. We could switch off that circuit from the mains and try to disconnect the speaker. Just worried that it might set something worse off like the bell outside.

6. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Yes, that was something that crossed my mind. If your battery is Ok that should not happen. You will normally have to enter a code before opening the unit (I am not familiar with this particular alarm) or else the alarm tamper will very likely activate.

7. Sparkielev

0123, or 1234, 5678 could be default user codes

8. Sparkielev

this might help

Attached Files:

9. LynneR

LynneR New Member

10. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Different alarm but ours does something similar when the back up battery needs replacing. It's monitored as well so loss of the phone connection does as well.

Entering the code stops it.

Muzungu likes this.
  11. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Slightly off topic but my alarm has just started flashing up "battery fault" but annoyingly it make a loud chime sound every minute or so until you reset it. Then the battery must get enough charge to register again so the panel thinks the battery is ok and it then starts all over again, going to have to get in the loft and remove it for now, it has been in about 8 years though.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Any faults on my alarm you just put in your code and it resets itself.

13. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

If the alarm is your property and not an a lease agreement, the supplier / installer is legally bound to give you the engineer code, or come and change it at no cost to another code which they will then tell you. Had this issue with the alarm in the village hall, insisted that the installer gave us the code to allow any alarm engineer to service the system. They did it after a bit of a struggle. The law is a European directive that was initially intended for the computer systems in cars, the manufacturers were keeping the codes for themselves and their registered dealers, this was judges as anti competitive by the EU and they were forced to publish the access codes.

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Know of a locksmith/Alarm Engineer who wont respond to similar situations as the OP finds themselves in unless he knows the people as he could be aiding a crime so will in that case refuse or ask for police attendance. You have to be on the ball too many scammers about!

15. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

On mine entering the code just prevents it from beeping. The battery still needed replacing. The loss of phone line is the same but only get that when work is being done on the lines :( usually at say 1am in the morning.