Alignment of boiler flues across ranges

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dr Bodgit, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I've got (I think) a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 18Kw system boiler, its around 7 years old. This will need upgrading to a bigger boiler at some point while my OH's boiler is very old and given she will be renting her place out, was thinking it could do with being replaced.

We were wondering whether it makes sense to have a new/larger boiler fitted at my place and fit my current boiler in hers. Only real concern is that my flue goes up vertically through the roof and I really don't want to be changing it. Do you good peeps know if the new WB range of boilers have the same flue placement? Will probably need a 24kw may be 30Kw boiler...house is currently 3 bed semi but ground floor extension will add another 60m2 or so.

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

The worcester range are dependant upon one common flue system, well two if you count the larger sized flue system for alternative uses. Your proposal would be acceptable unless her flue system is attached to an older non HE boiler and it must also be a Worcester otherwise they are non compatable. The Non HE flues have a metal internal flue chanel as opposed to a plastic in the modern systems. The flue gasses will eat through the old metal ones in next to no time and cause all sorts of issues.

Having said that it is always good practice to renew the flue when the boiler is replaced as the seals do deteriorate internally over time and for the sake of a couple of hundred quid only a fool would leave his/her tenants at potential risk.

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Thanks Dave. Her flue would be replaced, its my flue I dont want to touch. Its good to know that the flues are generally the same, I'll speak with my plumber.