Altech motorised valve

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Debuilder, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Debuilder

Debuilder New Member

I have had the 3 port valve replaced in my house.

The plumber quoted me for replacement with either a honeywell or a danfoss valve after I questioned what make he would be using. On that basis I decided to go ahead with his quotation.

Getting back to the house after the job was done I was disappointed to find he had not installed either of the two brands above.

He has used an Altech valve, which as far as I can make out is around £30-40 cheaper. Can anyone give me an idea on the quality of the Altech product compared with Danfoss or Honeywell and also some more accurate price information for the Altech motorised 3 port valve.

Thanks

2. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Unfortunately the Altech stuff looks like re-badge Salus controls, which is not good news. As Salus controls are very poor quality.

However to be fair, there can be nut & thread problems with some valves, so perhaps that's why you ended up with an Altech one. Another thing, all valves regardless of cost will not last for ever, but these are great;

http://www.sunvic.co.uk/momovalves.htm

3. Debuilder

Debuilder New Member

Do you have a link for the info about re-badged Salus parts? I'd like to query the plumber on his selection and need to be sure what I'm saying.

I've tried Google for Altech but it doesn't throw up much which is worrying.

4. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Requests with a 'please & thank you' would help!!

Now you've got on my t.ts & you can find your own fecking valve!!

5. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Altech is Grahams own label . As has been advised - not all valves are interchangeable which is why he may have gone that route. They are cheap and cheerful but should be OK.

6. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

the salus valves are sold by pulsar , i have used them as they have removeable heads , plus replacement heads are about £8 , this is the same as a syncron motor alone, the head will fail before the body anyway, it will be cheap to replace when it fails , whenever that is

7. tackleburger

tackleburger New Member

They also come with a five year guarantee mate, more than Honywell or danfoss will give you, so make sure you keep the invoice from the plumber.

Honeywells are fine but not worth the price. Danfoss have cheapened the nuts and olives on their kit. The price difference is no where near what you think although a bit cheaper you do get the warranty. Chances are they guy went to Grahams but as usual they only had an Altech in stock the carry very little I went weeks trying to get leak detection fluid there to ne avail I asked eveytime I was in to see how long it took.

The guy has fixed it it works so what your problem worried he may have made an extra fiver oh dear that'll cover his time if it fails in the next five years then.

8. tightenit

tightenit New Member

Well said mate - spot on.
    Come on OP chip up, we all have to eat!!

9. Salus_101

Salus_101 New Member

http://www.sunvic.co.uk/momovalves.htm

As a Relatively young manufacturer we experienced a couple of batch issues with our RF programmable room stats and MV's at different times,
    we did do a cleanse but unfortunately some slipped through the net, its virtually impossible to change all over that were sold given the amount of Indy's,nationals and distribution outlets that we deal with directly.

Our MV's are not of poor quality they are easy to install, and give you the added benefit of not having to drain down should you need to replace the head, the issue was with the synchron motor which has since been replaced with an improved model, identical to that of another leading controls Manufacturer.

Feel free to get in touch with us directly and we'll gladly arrange for you to receive a few replacements free of charge for you to try the new improved MV valve and to discuss any past issues you have experienced.

10. Salus_101

Salus_101 New Member

As a Relatively young manufacturer we experienced a couple of batch issues with our RF programmable room stats and MV's at different times,
    we did do a cleanse but unfortunately some slipped through the net, its virtually impossible to change all over that were sold given the amount of Indy's,nationals and distribution outlets that we deal with directly.

Our MV's are not of poor quality they are easy to install, and give you the added benefit of not having to drain down should you need to replace the head, the issue was with the synchron motor which has since been replaced with an improved model, identical to that of another leading controls Manufacturer.

Feel free to get in touch with us directly and we'll gladly arrange for you to receive a few replacements free of charge for you to try the new improved MV valve and to discuss any past issues you have experienced.

11. Salus_101

Salus_101 New Member

12. tavspeed

tavspeed New Member

will you replace my salus rf room stat, not a even a year old,it is useless

13. Kardon81

Kardon81 New Member

Good on you Salus thats the type of helpful attitude and support we need from manufacturers. I'm sure Sir Richard of the Glens would be more than happy to take you up on your offer being a Scot after all and will probably regain trust in your products as a result of your helpful and responsible response unlike some manufacturers who would not admit to any problems.

14. picasso.

picasso. New Member

I havent used the salus mv,s but the programmers are good quality and easy to install/use.

15. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I must have had one of the bad ones !

I was livid having to go and change a new valve that would not work! At least you have owned up - credit to you!

They did seem to be MUCH better than budget Tower valves although I vowed never to use them again after my bad experience with one ( it was badged Altech)

16. Salus_101

Salus_101 New Member

year old,it is useless

As a no nonsense manufacturer we offer a 2 year warranty on all our Controls,(Our pump comes with a 5yr Guarantee) from point of installation not sale!!

We'll be happy to change the product over for you directly or for ease you can contact the Merchant you bought it from who should give you a direct replacement there and then.

Obviously we would like to know the nature of the fault, if you would like to post your issues to: saluscontrols@live.co.uk with your contact details and area we will get our relevant Regional Account Manager to get in touch with you next week.

17. Salus_101

Salus_101 New Member

thank you for your comments! Salus are not a one hit wonder, we care about our customers and don't like the thought of anyone being inconvenienced by our products. Yes, we have had our problems with quality, yes we have caused irritation with heating engineers who unfortunately bought batches of products that slipped through the net, but we will always stand by our customers, never lie and never try and fob our customers off with lame excuses. We have responded to the batch issues by ensuring our customers get 100% quality at the right prices!

18. imran_

imran_ New Member

I can't comment on Salus (though good for you on responding) but I always fit Honeywell and never have a problem. They are also surprisingly cheap from a merchant if you have good terms, so price isn't really an issue.

As for compatibility, can someone explain the difference. Or are people just to lazy to snip the old olives off to remove the nuts...???

The OP probably employed a cheap plumber, cheaply, and got a cheap job. ;)

19. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Or are people just to lazy to snip the old olives off to remove the nuts...???

20. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Well Salus 101, after reading your first post 3 TIMES! All I can say is; I think you've cured my insomnia!!!

Good on you son for standing up & being counted, I shall look at your products again(though agaist my better judgement) & try them again. Off the top of my head, we had faulty programmers, MV's, room stats. However, I'd did fit some of your TRV's in one of my estate cottages, they were nice valves & to date have worked well.

Heating controls are like Nick Griffin, onces you've a bad name it's difficult to change it!!!