Alternative to discontinued Turbo Ultra screws?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by cssbz, Nov 16, 2018.

1. cssbz

cssbz New Member

I've been using the Turbo Ultra screws for a few years now and have been pretty happy with them. I like the sharpened tip, the rifled shank, stainless steel.

But... seems ScrewFix have discontinued them. The "Ultra" line is stainless, but lacks the other two features I mentioned - a pretty poor substitute.

Does anyone know of a similar alternative product?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Look at Reisser screws,quailty,will be something similar intheir range.

Forgefast is another one I've started using,has torx head,from competitor.

https://www.forgefix.co.uk/

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Loads of screws out there. Buy wine instead...much more useful.

malkie129 likes this.
  4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Those replacement Stainless screws look the same as good old fashioned woodscrews and nowhere near the original ones that SF stocked. It will give me a problem too although I have some stocks of those I use.

Reisser's R2 Retinox range https://reisser.co.uk/shop/r2-retinox/ are Stainless but are again the older thread type and not the razor sharp cutter style. I tend to use just Reisser however for stainless I too preferred the SF range.

5. Broon

Broon Active Member

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Have used their woodscrew, but the Rapierstar Starfix masonry screws are excellent, TX30 head, been using them to fix door frames.

7. Dan dan the man

Dan dan the man Active Member

Just drill a pilot hole......

SoManyUserNames likes this.
  8. cssbz

cssbz New Member

Thanks, all.

What I've figured out so far, in case this is useful to anyone else...

ForgeFix don't seem to do any stainless. They do have "ForgeFast Elite Exterior... Elementech 2000 surface coating... salt spray tested to 2000 hours". I don't know anything about screw coatings, which is why I was simplistically using stainless, which was working well for me. I assume this Elementech 2000 coating isn't as effective as actual stainless, although perhaps the screw is stronger? (I did break Turbo Ultra screws sometimes when I applied too much torque, but I've got the hang of this over time.)

ForgeFix are credit accounts only (and I'm just a DIYer). But those screws are on Amazon.

Reisser R2 Retinox - yup, stainless, but older thread type. Looks the same as Screwfix's "Ultra" to me.

RapierStar "StarTurn" woodscrews have an interesting looking thread and tip. But again, no stainless. They do a yellow passivated coating, but there's little information on their site. I've used yellow screws externally before, and when I've taken them out a year or two later, the thread has gone black. So not too keen on that.

So - I think I'll try ForgeFast Elite Exterior. Thanks again for the pointers (and the wine idea - but I prefer chocolate... nom).

9. yellowtump

yellowtump New Member

Eighteen months later, nothing seems to have changed. What baffles me is Screwfix's 'Three wise monkey act'. They behave as if they'd never stocked these screws, yet the packaging is labelled 'Screws Ltd', with a post code that is shared by Screwfix. They can't have disappeared off the face of the earth, can they? Perhaps they were made in China?
    I particularly want 3.5 x 30mm (for securing roof tiles, in preference to nailing). 4mm is too big.

10. Dee eye why

Dee eye why New Member

I feel your pain Buddy!

I have some of these in about five sizes, went to order more as I am running out of two of the sizes and couldn't believe they have dis-continued them!!! I too have also snapped a few but they are (WERE) generally a good screw.

It looks like I will be changing to the Stainless steel ultra screws, one thing is they look a lot stronger bodied than the Turbo Ultra so hopefully no snapping! and it will be handy to have good holding strength right down to the tip, I suppose I wont miss the ultra sharp point and rifled shank either... Okay, I might not miss them as much as I originally thought. :D

11. Taher Bharbhaya

Taher Bharbhaya New Member

I think you just have to drill a pilot hole......!! Nothing else bro.