Alternatives for tiles for showers?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by two by one, Oct 5, 2008.

1. two by one

two by one New Member

Standard route for showers/baths are tiles, but I have seen timber used abroad. Anyone have any alternatives? Thanks,

2. busy builder

busy builder New Member

Wet wall or shower panel. Available in either 2400 x 1200 or 2400 x 600. Don't buy the MDF type, get the ply based stuff its much better. costs about £90 for a full sheet and joints come in white, alluinuim (polished and brushed) and chrome. Fixed to wall using Sticks like ****,no nails or screws.

3. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

i do bathrooms full time and would get the shower panels as said, no grout to go black etc, am going to use it when i do my own bathroom, one thing is i dont use the internal joints, just cut neat and butt up in the corner and silicone, dont like the internal joint strips

4. Rizzo

Rizzo Member

A mate of mine does Italian polished plaster work and it can be used in a shower.

5. nigel

nigel Guest

6. Used Aqua Panels on our shower room about 3 years ago now.
    They are brill. Made of marine ply covered in melamine?
    Bit of a bugger to get into a small room due to their size but apart from that easy to fit. just seal them with mastic.
    Had no probs.

7. Dont be tempted to use a dark colour.
    It will look * after a month with water marks!!

[Edited by: admin6]

8. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Even upvc cladding for showers is available - cheap and nasty but effective.

9. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Couple of Tarpaulins strung up will do ya!

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Quite!...there is a credit crunch on apparently;)

11. Measure2cut1

Measure2cut1 New Member

I thought that Aqua Panels (Knauf) was a moisture resistant tile backer board. Is there another product with a similar name which I have not yet found on Google?

I have used Mermaid panels before and am impressed by them and likely to use them again next year when I change a bath to a shower.

Are Spaboard any good? How does it compare to Mermaid?

M2C1

12. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

think you are right measure man, some confusion abounds

13. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

google shower panels, aquapanel is a tile backer board.