Aluminium Extrusion

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by diyhopeful, Jan 19, 2004.

1. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

Can anyone help me with a source of aluminium extrusion so I can fix a shower enclosure ? Pref East London/Essex

Approx 1200mm x 40mm x 10mm although an assortment of sizes may be better or even angle section. A bit vague I know but until I know what's available I can't work out how to fix it.

Cheers for any help.

2. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Unfortunately, I can't help even though I spent most of my working life making aluminium extrusion dies.
    [Yes CF, I can make them from design to finished tool.]

Hopefully someone may know of suppliers.
    Most aluminium extrusion sections are ordered from the extruders to the customers requirements. This means that the extruders have to get dies made and then the customer owns the rights for that particular section. The manufacturer of showers, doors, windows etc. will not normally allow their sections to be sold to anyone else.

3. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

Thanks Dewy

I might have to try and make do with B&Q's standard selection then.

Not ideal though.

Any more ideas would be welcome from anyone else

4. sawless

sawless New Member

you could try your local scrapman it might only cost you a drink, most of the ally extrusion is surplus refurb material and as such in good nick

5. SW

SW New Member

There are loads of alloy sales company's about that should sell to you direct. They will probably have something very close to want you want. Look through the phone books under metal merchants, or alternatively look under sheet metal workers and fabricators as they will have contact with several suppliers.

Good luck

6. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

thanks for the tips everyone.

7. Markybob

Markybob New Member

You should be able to get 40 x 40 or 1.5 x 1.5" reasonably easy, then it's just a case of slitting one leg, can even be done with circ. saw

Try aalco, the're all over but do deliver, you'll need a 10' length