Aluminium windows.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Bill Bog, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Bill Bog

Bill Bog New Member

Hello everyone.

We are having an extension built and want to use aluminium doors (bi-fold type), windows and sky lanterns. I'm getting quotes at the moment but I don't know if one make is better than others. The ones we've looking at so far are Warmcore, Smart Systems (Smart Architectural Aluminium), AluK and Alulux.

All the quotes are similar, so we're wondering if anyone knows which is best? Any to avoid? Any other makes we should be looking at?

Thank you for any assistance.

2. jonathanc

jonathanc Active Member

Not much experience other than i’ve Fitted smart system bifolds and single doors and they are fine. I suspect the profiles are all the same

More important is to find a good fitter. I had some terrible people which is why I fitted the next lot myself

3. Jitender

Jitender Well-Known Member

I have used aluminum windows.

The company I have used is Duration windows. They have both ALUK and smarts.

There is a 3d configurator on their site, as there are numerous profiles and sash variations that can be selected.

They were at this years show at the NEC and I got hold of a 5% discount. There is a bout a 8-10 week lead time on windows and door.

4. Hfs

Hfs Active Member

5. Bill Bog

Bill Bog New Member

Thank you everyone :)

It seems as though there are no Turkeys between them - no company that stands out in particular, or ones to avoid.

I'll check out Duration and Rhino - thank you for these suggestions.

That's a good point about fitters, Jonathan, and that might be the trickiest part.

6. Jitender

Jitender Well-Known Member

If you order direct, you are cutting out the middle man.

I also have had bad experience with fitters. I now order them myself, so take all the responsibility if there is anything wrong :oops:

7. Bill Bog

Bill Bog New Member

Who fits them for you, Jitender?

8. jonathanc

jonathanc Active Member

I think like me Jitender fits himself.

Aluminium bifolds need to be fitted perfectly true else you end up the all sorts of problems. My experience includes

Doors fitted sloping out; no frame packets used so frame “stretched” and locks failed to engage, gaskets cut too short, worse still the cills were not sealed at end(manufacturer requirement as there is internal draining) so they leaked into room. They even too the frames out twice trying to correct.

All of the problems above were caused by not following manufacturers instructions.

I bought a set of bifolds from “slide and fold” largely because I am very close to them and could collect. Follow their instructions and they are perfect.

Fitting windows and doors is not hard, just follow instructions

9. Bill Bog

Bill Bog New Member

Thanks Jonathan.