Am I past it?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by peter palmer, Aug 31, 2018.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Super Member

I have always done everything myself that I'm capable of doing, whether its Gardening, decorating or vehicle repairs etc. Our van is due a timing belt change and today I thought I'd give it a go.

Within 10 minutes it got a little tricky and I'd had enough so put the wheel back on and booked it into the local garage for them to do along with a service. I have also just acquired a gardener to cut my grass once a fortnight as well and thinking seriously about a cleaner.

I am working quite hard at the minute on a lot of jobs quite far away and doing a fair bit of driving so I'm putting my lack of enthusiasm down to that at the moment but it is quite worrying. We were staying in some digs a few weeks ago and we went shopping in the local town, the walk back was up a steep hill in 30 deg heat and I was carrying a couple of bags full of bottled water, its the first time in my life I thought that I feel well and truly past it.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Its sensible to employ others, your time is more valuable. Unless you get great satisfaction out of mowing the lawn, then don't feel guilty for paying someone else. As for the van, I do the odd job on mine now and again, but sometimes even the thought of opening the bonnet is too much. I'm better off earning for a day in most cases, than pottering around with it, because although I may have the skills, the desire is not there. Gladly offset it against my tax.

Have a holiday :)

3. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Welcome to the club Pete, I can confirm, for the avoidance of doubt, you are past it.:)

To be fair, if your vans a diesel, there are plenty of garages that wont touch the timing belts, far too complicated and far too many kits required for different makes of vans to lock the pulleys in place.

Looking on the bright side, you're a sparky, at least you don't have to work too hard.;)

teabreak and KIAB like this.
  4. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

If you know a person who can do as good or a better job as you can on your vehicle, etc, then why try to add these extra tasks to your busy day?
    You can’t add hours to your life later

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm well past it, I want someone to do all my chippying work too. :eek::eek:

DIY womble likes this.
  6. HappyHacker

HappyHacker Active Member

I know I am past it! I cannot put in the same amount of energy into a job as I did 30 years ago. I also let the local garage do jobs that I would have done myself a few years ago and if I could afford it would get much more work done by others.

We are all getting older, and hopefully wiser, so accept that for various reasons we cannot keep performing at the same level that we used to when younger and should be working smarter even if it means getting someone to help.

I also found that when travelling a lot for work it is very difficult to keep fit and very easy to loose enthusiasm for work.

Speaking to my contemporaries and elders they also feel the same way.

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Of course you're not past it, you're only past it when you're dead, and that's the bottom line. The work you describe would knacker out a 25 year old, without getting into mental stress, tears and raised blood pressure of trying to work on your own modern vehicle, and as you've stated before you have the added grief of looking to employ people and all the s h i t e that comes with it, it's probably not rocket science why you may be burnt out at the minute.

Either keep going the way you are, reap the financial rewards but suffer a lesser home life and blood pressure similar to a volcano, or adapt to your current situation logically and sensibly, not least so you don't lose any money.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

For me gardening is quite therapeutic, it's so easy to get entangled in our busy lives and forget about the basics.

DIY womble likes this.
  9. billfromarran

billfromarran Active Member

As far as vehicle repairs are concerned, modern wheels are a nightmare, best left to others,apart from the odd oil change etc.
    Buy yourself an old car, everything is basic and fixable, and you will have hours of fun. You just need therapy afterwards.

10. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

You work hard, do the best you can and pay into the system. You make plans, think about what you are going to do first on your retirement bucket list. Your getting on, the will to do all the things you did at 20 is slipping. Your body is and has carried you for at lot of years down the road of life and is starting to show signs of wear and tear. Where is the point of over doing it, pushing yourself on for that extra couple of years when you could start to wind down, look at life without the need to be some where else. Life is too short, the bucket list is calling.....retire as soon as possible

KIAB likes this.
  11. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

As you get older as someone said to me, look on the bright side, you only need one book, one dvd film, you meet all kinds of people every day that you've never seen before like your close relatives/carers .......

HappyHacker and KIAB like this.
  12. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

It's life's constant challenge , was worried about going to spread on a site with young'uns being 57, what a delightful surprise, no contest , agree about the timing belt , having always done my own , could easily find more constructive jobs to do

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Think you will find the hard grunt stuff is getting harder but the smarter stuff that requires experience and knowledge you get better at. At the moment I have my sons helping me, they knock the walls down, move the sand, blocks etc.

Its like yesterday there was a huge awkward stone I had to remove that was high up in a wall. They couldn't work out how to get it out of the wall without dropping it. I just got a step ladder and a piece of 4x2 and just slid it along! They had to carry it out though

DIY womble likes this.
  14. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Peter, how old are you.
    If you work like a dog for the next 10 years what are you going to spend the money on ?
    I retired 10 years ago.........thoroughly recommend it.
    Done up 3 house in that time...for me and family...at my pace.
    Don't have to travel, put up with traffic jams, morons (apart from on here but I have them all blocked....like dogs....lol), bosses, idiotic customers.
    Ok may not be able to have a new merc every year...so what.
    Spend 2 to 4 months away every year.
    You only need one shower, one dump, 3 meals a day and drink so much. ....so what is having the extra million gonna do for you when the grim reaper rings the door bell. (next week)

And yes....you are past it....;)
    Rs

Heat likes this.
  15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I did the same. Rarely do things for other people, just for me. Now I just refurbish my own properties and work my own hours

Heat likes this.
  16. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

@peter palmer...quote... 30 deg heat and I was carrying a couple of bags full of bottled water. Why? .. Yeah.. You've lost it mate.. I use a tap... :)

17. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Got to change the belt and pulleys on my Honda Civic diesel, ordered the bits yesterday from Euro for80 quid, the pound sign on this keyboard won't work, will fit it in the next couple of weeks, 66 and not yet past it.

18. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Go for it Bob... same as me !
    You old curmudgeon....;)
    Rs

19. peter palmer

peter palmer Super Member

I can't be that past it, I spent most of Saturday cleaning out mine and the 2 adjoining neighbours gutters. I could handle my tripple extension ladder no problem but seeing the neighbours trying to extend it was comical, thought it was going to go straight through their bedroom window at one time.

20. Old Greybeard

Old Greybeard New Member

Since someone showed me the Stanley knife trick * I actually like changing timing belts. It takes all the faff and worry out of the job and just needs a steady hand with the knife and way to slowly turn the engine over (the hardest part, usually).

*The Stanley knife trick is to remover the timing belt cover, and use a Stanley knife to slit the old belt in half, lengthwise. Turn the engine over slowly by hand so you can cut all the way around the belt, so there are two narrow belts in effect. Then cut off the front belt section, leaving the rear half in place to keep everything timed up. Slightly loosen the tensioner (not much) and slide the new belt on to the front half of all the pulleys. Once it's securely in place, half way on, cut the remaining half of the old belt and remove it, and then push the new belt fully into place and tension it. No special tools needed, just a bit of patience.

retiredsparks, Jord86, Heat and 3 others like this.