am i pricing to high?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by sexyfemale p d, Feb 25, 2008.

1. sexyfemale p d

sexyfemale p d New Member

hey
    iv had about 10 jobs in the last 2 weeks to price up but havn't got any
    some say they think its to high and others havn't got back to me
    iv been charging bout £70 - £80 a day.
    also when you go round . when do you find it best to tell them the price
    i.e
    while your there
    phone later
    or send a letter

btw its nottingham area

2. Lightning McQueen

Lightning McQueen New Member

I am not a p&d, and I am not self employed, however potentially I am your customer.

As a potential customer I would like to receive a written quote. For your benefit and mine this should include exactly what has been priced for - i.e. a scope of work - and the overall price for doing the work.

I wouldn't object to a follow up phone call from you a couple of days later to see what my plans were or obtain feedback about the quote.

This approach shouldn't take you long because you can set up a standard quotation letter into which you just need to enter the customers name and address, description /itemisation of the works, and the quotation price.

3. Tingtong

Tingtong New Member

I am not a p&d, and I am not self employed, however
    potentially I am your customer.

As a potential customer I would like to receive a
    written quote. For your benefit and mine this should
    include exactly what has been priced for - i.e. a
    scope of work - and the overall price for doing the
    work

I wouldn't object to a follow up phone call from you
    a couple of days later to see what my plans were or
    obtain feedback about the quote.

This approach shouldn't take you long because you can
    set up a standard quotation letter into which you
    just need to enter the customers name and address,
    description /itemisation of the works, and the
    quotation price.

Like we've all got time to do this.

Verbal estimation. If accepted, then written quote.

Weeds out the timewasters.

4. jockster

jockster New Member

Tingtong has got it bang on!

No time to send out written quotes for everything. If I have a job to quote for I usually give them a price there & then based on my day rate (which I don't tell them) plus materials, as long as I'm confident of whats needed. I just don't presume I've got the job until the customer says I have. If materials need to be sourced or priced I usually agree to phone them back within a few days.

If something turns up on the job that I have time to do I usually just do it - really helps with customer service.

Your rate of £70 to £80 is that for a days labour? A room rate? Everything is relative. If its your day rate I'd say your reasonable for what folks in Central Scotland would pay.

Jockster

5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

You’re certainly not overcharging I my opinion.
    Some people just have no idea how much work costs, they think they should get a whole room done for a couple of hundred quid!

I don’t know if you are quoting people a day rate as an open ended job, or simply estimating the time it will take you and then giving a fixed price based on that.
    I do it the latter way, usually and add on a half day, or perhaps a full day if it’s a big job, to cover unforeseen problems.

I find people are much happier with a set price (materials charged separately with an approximate cost only) than day rate where they feel the tradesman may spin the job out deliberately.
    I’m happier too, as if I want to have an early day for some reason I don’t have to explain myself to the customer.

I always try not to quote at the time of the visit, I think the job through and double check my costings it’s surprising how often you realise there’s a potential pitfall.
    Then give a quote over the phone if the response is favourable do a written quote.

If you give a written quote setting out exactly what you have estimated for there should be no arguments at the end, as to whether the vanished window frames should have been done or the radiators removed.
    When customers add things its quite simple to add “Additional works” to the final bill.

6. romanian)guy

romanian)guy New Member

u charge too much ,drop day rate to 50

7. romanian)guy

romanian)guy New Member

meybe u 2 slow and 1 room -1 week then 7*80=560 too much,or u are woman (newer saw woman painter)

8. bobbie-dazzler

bobbie-dazzler New Member

(newer saw woman painter)

You should get out more, there are quite a few of us around.:)

I agree with TT, TB and jockster, I certainly dont agree with RG, (who does) lol

I give a verbal price on the phone, with the understanding that if they want me for the job, then I will give them a written version, which I will give to them on the first day I start.
    Sometimes I do send it out, but the majority of my clients are regulars, or I have been recommended.

I havent the time to wrte out loads of pricing up, and i do explaint this to the client in a very nice way.

And, I have to say, that 99% of my future jobs/clients are okay with this.:)

9. romanian)guy

romanian)guy New Member

u woman ?****

10. bobbie-dazzler

Sure am RG, have been for quite a while.;-)

11. gregorz

gregorz New Member

course she is woman you dunce and i love each word she put in here:)

12. rekoj

rekoj New Member

Prior to the gender re-assignment surgery at 18 'bobbie' was called 'Robert'.

Tis true.

;)

13. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

lots of people don't like to pay day rates cos they think your conning them.
    next thing there clock watching to see if there getting there money's worth.
    stick with a total price for the job.
    80 a day is ok if your a good painter and decorator.
    maybe 40 a day if your just a fly by night painter.

14. bobbie-dazzler

Prior to the gender re-assignment surgery at 18
    'bobbie' was called 'Robert'.

Tis true.

;)

Ohhh!!! I see my secret is out;-);-)

15. bobbie-dazzler

course she is woman you dunce and i love each word
    she put in here:)

16. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Sorry don't agree with any of you over written quotes - I mean how long does it take? So your all trying to tell me you have to survey and quote for more than one quote a day? Sorry but its just plain lazy. Its no time at all if you trying to project a professional image and more important of all prevent any ambiguity over the job or the cost. I never give a price on the spot, and never ask what they have been quoted by others to prevent the start of a Dutch auction for the work, I never negotiate on price either. And if I were the customer I would only accept a quote on paper, and if I were asked do you want a written quote would not employ you, as I would expect this and not have to ask.

Back to the original post, are you arriving on time? How are you dressed? i.e. do you look like a p&D or a saleswoman? Could be that you are too cheap? Or could just be a short run of bad luck?

17. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

Agree 100% with Telmay.

I do exactly what he does. Never quote on the spot.However, there could be a number of reasons for you not getting the job, none of them to do with you personally. If you are pricing at the rates you say Then you are not too expensive. You may be estimating too much time to do the job i.e. 5 days @ £80 when someone else is estimating it at 3 - 4 days, thus coming out cheaper. It may just be swings and roundabouts - sometimes you get everything you quote for and other times you get none of them

18. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

It may simply be that some people don't like the idea of a woman doing the work (especially if the customer is a man (pride thing) or you may be too attractive for the woman of the house or you may be young and they think you would not be experienced enough. I am in my sixties and my partner is in his forties and I tend to get more jobs I quote for, even though he tends to price cheaper. Why? Perhaps it's because customers think the old boy must have been doing it so long he must be good? Who knows? There's nowt as ***** as folk

19. T-C

T-C New Member

agree with tel written quotes or estimates every time and a booking deposit before i start with signed copy of quote.T-C

20. 54aardvark

54aardvark New Member

I think your rates sound OK, I started on that about 4 years ago, I'm up to £100/day now (N.E.Scotland)and haven't had a job turned down on price. I set a fixed price for labour and give them a quesstimate on materials (finalised on completion).

Most of my clients are regulars and are happy with a verbal quotation, however, if its a big job or a new client I always put in a written quote (valid for 3 months only). And yes, I do come unstuck occasionally but rarely if ever have hassle with final bill.

Clients sometimes just want an idea of what a job is going to cost them and come back, sometimes months later, when they have enough money, chatted to the neighbours etc. Amazing how often this happens.