Amica fridge freezer - worth repairing?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by MrRossi, May 23, 2023.

1. MrRossi

MrRossi New Member

Hi all

My Amica fridge freezer has packed in just over the 2 year warranty date; typical. I'm also moving house very soon and will have a built in unit so don't actually need it - managed to source a battered second hand one for 50 quid to last me a few weeks.

My question is: is it worth trying to repair the Amica, to then sell it on?

Symptoms are: build up of liquid in the base of the fridge, suggested drain plug blocked but had used the tool provided... carried on with liquid building up for a few weeks and then one morning it made a loud clanking sound, like a fan was catching on something? Powered off for a moment, re-powered, and it was fine again... for a day. Then I noticed the freezer was starting to defrost. Within 24 hours both freezer and fridge no longer cooling and the fridge sounds quiet 95% of the time; occasionally it'll whir again as if it's trying to cool, but doesn't last long.

I'm not much of an electrician but generally quite logical at diagnosing problems so if there's somewhere obvious I can look / check / test I probably can; just know nothing about fridge freezers really so don't know where to start!

Any thoughts / suggestions welcome please.

Would seem a shame just to send off to the dump as it's generally in good shape.

Thanks
    Ross

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Leave it in the garage when you move :).

Mrboomal likes this.
  3. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

With frost free types, the auto defrost inside the fridge often fails allowing the build up of ice. This ice causes the fan to strike it causing the noise but usually also blocks the drain causing some moisture to condense at the bottom often puddling on the floor as it leaks past the doors. Usually by the time this is detected, the expanded polystyrene insulation is soaked. That said they still limp along albeit not quite frost free, often with ice in back corners of the shelf.

repair needs the defrost system and insulation to be repaired/replaced. Not sure if parts for Amica are easy to get hold of and what the cost is. If Amica do a fixed price repairs it may be worth a punt.

If the issue is with loss of gas or compressors, it will be expensive.

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Are you sure you’ve unblocked the drain tube properly, as you can get a lot of crud in them?

5. Hausfix

Hausfix Screwfix Select

I’d agree with quasar9’s diagnosis too, however, you may find that if you empty it and switch it off for 48hrs, allowing it to totally defrost the internal sections you can’t see, you may find that once it is switched back on again after that time it will function normally. Hidden behind the back panels are circulation fans and cold air ducting with motorised gates that can be jammed with built up ice, so it’s worth giving it a go. No less than 48 hrs defrosting time for best results.
    When it comes to repair costs, I doubt it would be worth spending a great deal of money keeping it going, it’s one of those brands that hasn’t got loads of common parts that are found on other appliances, so there is little choice for aftermarket spares. I can only think of the CDA brand that is made in the same factory.

Last edited: May 24, 2023
    quasar9 likes this.
  6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

We had a Maytag fridge freezer with a defrost heater some time ago. The defrost heater overheated as it was rated at 220 volts and the safety thermal fuse operated. The result was that the ice monster took over the evaporator section behind the panel in the freezer, the fridge part then would not get cold. Change the thermal fuse and it worked for a couple of years before the compressor failed. Not had a good experience with fridge freezer combo's, went back to separate units, no trouble since.

7. MrRossi

MrRossi New Member

Thanks everyone for the advice! Had already cleaned it out as best I could and been off a while now so powered it back on this morning, will see what happens over the next 24-48hrs or so.

8. MrRossi

MrRossi New Member

Left it running for around 16hrs and it's whirred and clicked every now and then but not got cold at all.

Scrap it??

9. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Get a cost for a repair and then decide if it makes economic sense. If it was over 10 years old, its not economic as the next thing to go wrong is just round the corner but at just over 2 years it’s worth asking.

10. MrRossi

MrRossi New Member

Thanks, will see if I can find someone to take a look but running out of time to quote, repair and then sell - I'm moving house next Thursday so it needs to be gone by then, fixed or not!

11. BuildingMad

BuildingMad Screwfix Select

Any reputable company should allow some leniency if you are just outside the guarantee period, although they don't advertise it.
    Email them for starters to get it in writing & then follow it up with a phone call.

MrRossi likes this.
  12. BuildingMad

BuildingMad Screwfix Select

If they hold out, quote 'the sales of goods act'

Here is a guide.

Statutory Rights - Consumer Rights Act
    The Sale of Goods Act , which now called the Consumer Rights Act 2015 is in effect a guarantee for the consumer against poor workmanship and mis-representation for a period of time during the life expectancy of that product, which should be no more than 6 years in the UK, but 5 years in Scotland.

This is known as Statutory Rights and is additional to any warranty/guarantee provided by the retailer or manufacturer!

There is no such thing as a 12 month guarantee with the retailer/seller.

The length of time you have to return any product depends upon the life expectancy of the product.

Washing Machines/Cookers etc you would expect to last 10+ years, therefore you would not expect a fault within the first 6 years of use. As such you have 6 years under Statutory Rights.

Low Cost Kettles would not be expected to last over 18 months, so you would only have this time to take back to the retailer.

MrRossi likes this.