Amtico Tiles Bathroom

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by garyclay, Oct 21, 2004.

1. garyclay

garyclay New Member

Hi,

I have got hold of some surpluss AMTICO floor tiles (300x300). I want to use them in my bathroom which has a floorboard subfloor.

What type of overboarding is required, would marine ply be ok.

What adhesive do I use and is there any advice anyone can give me about fitting amtico.

2. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I normally use a 9mm ply with countersunk screws, You should get an amtico approved guy to lay the floor.

He will come in and give the floor a coat of featheredge and once dry he will apply the adhesive and flooring.

If you want to do it yourself you must use the amtico adhesive- I think it has a dye in it so if you have a problem with the floor they will come in to check the correct adhesive has been used, if not the guarantee is invalid.

3. nigel

nigel Guest

I fixed amtico floor using with both recommended and other adhesive no problem with either.Ply is good surface, no need for marine ply though.

4. lord twang

lord twang New Member

..........until something leaks - then you wish you spent the extra £5 on marine.

5. Interesting comment Lord Twang, I once asked a plywood importer for the a spec sheet on the differences between the different plywoods.

Mostly I was interested in WBP / Marine.

WBP - the ply laminates are held together with an adhesive that is freshwater proof.

Marine - same as WBP except the adhesive is salt water proof.

Other than this they are no extra treatments of impregnators.

Unless of course you know different as I' dcertainly be interested as I never saw the point in spending twice as much buying a marine ply.

6. handyman.

handyman. New Member

You learn something every day Mudster, cheers

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I guess that you could liken this to, - a £10 watch is
    water resistant and a £100 watch is water resistant.
    The difference may be that the cheap one is splash resistant, and the expensive one is water resistant to a depth of a fathom, for example ????

Handyandy - really

8. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I'm pretty sure that amtico recommend standard flooring ply that is smoothed over with Ardex feather finish smoothing compound to fill in all screw holes and joins.