anchoring posts to decking

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by woodburner, Sep 19, 2007.

1. woodburner

woodburner New Member

Hello,

I would like to roof my decking with a pergola covered with polycarbonate. What is the best way to anchor posts to the decking?

I would really appreciate advice on this as I cannot find information about this sort of project anywhere.

wb

2. ­

­ New Member

A metal bolt down post starter would do but will your deck be able to withstand the lift from strong gales?

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

how many feet by how many feet is the area you need to cover !!!!

big all

4. woodburner

woodburner New Member

Hello,

Thanks for the responses. I did think of a metal post starter and the lift factor as well that's why I started to worry. .

The deck frame is bolted to concrete block walls on all four sides. The planks are fixed every 30 cm with 60mm deck screws. If necessary I could also affix the posts to the concrete block walls in some fashion.

The area is a small courtyard measuring 3.5 metres by 3.5 metres (sorry not use to imperial).

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

the reason i asked was

for that area you will need a grid of 9 posts that will allow you to use somthing like 3x2" treated between the posts rather than somthing like 7x2" if you go for corner only posts

the actual size would need to be calculated ;)

big all

6. woodburner

woodburner New Member

Thanks ba,

I was intending to have only two posts @ 100 x 100 mm connected to each other via two 150 x 50 mm bolted either side of the posts to form the front beam on which would be five 100 x 50 mm rafters. The rafters would also be fixed to a chem bolted wall plate of 150 x 50 mm.

Would this not be structurally sound?

7. big all

big all Screwfix Select

are you using corrigated plastic or box section pollycarbonate!!!

if its corrigated it needs support accross the ribs every 24" or so

big all

8. woodburner

woodburner New Member

10mm box section polycarbonate

What do you think of the specs for the leanto/pergola?

9. big all

big all Screwfix Select

still trying to imagine the desighn;)

building wall slight slope to the doubled up front 50x150 mm 3.5m away so far very happy

width divided into 4 supports at 100mm 925 1750 2676 3400 !!!

you also need to support the plastic accross the sheets to prevent flexing

big all