Forum Support Ancient threads.

Discussion in 'Support' started by WillyEckerslike, May 5, 2018.

1. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

Hello Peter

Just throwing this out there for feedback and comment.....

Is there any merit in closing/locking threads that haven't had any new activity in a predetermined period - say three years for example?

There might be merit in allowing the OP to reopen it perhaps should they be running a long project or something but otherwise.......

The number of ancient threads that have surfaced lately is frustrating in my opinion.

Discuss.....

Thanks in advance.

Willy

2. koolpc

koolpc Well-Known Member

Ban! :p

3. Rulland

Rulland Well-Known Member

Must be early Kools!, You missed a 'G' Sir, I assume you really meant 'Bang', as in dynamite :p

masterdiy, koolpc, KIAB and 1 other person like this.
  4. screwfix.peter

screwfix.peter Administrator Staff Member

Morning

A lot of people use the forum are not members and find the forum via searches for problems they have. Some of these are from historical posts which we just recently pasted 1.5 million post's so there is a lot of help out there.

Leaving these threads open gives these people a place to ask more questions should they have them or to help further on the subject.

I have no plans to start locking threads which appear to be dorment.

Peter

5. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Totally agree.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    koolpc likes this.
  6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

I might be wrong KIAB and apologies if I am but I'm pretty certain you've had a moan about ancient threads surfacing again.
    What's to stop people opening a new thread if they need something answering? They can still access all the previous comments (and find them via a well known search engine).
    By resurrecting an old thread - 14 years for instance this morning - one has to read ALL of the posts to see if a) it's relevant and hasn't been answered already and b) if we can make a meaningful contribution. It can be a real waste of time and put one off trying to help.

facilities, KIAB and Pollowick like this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Yes, I have had a moan,I admit it:oops::rolleyes:, sometimes I gleam useful bits from old threads, but when a peep used a old thread for their problem & having to go numerous pages can try my patience.

You were spot on with this quote: By resurrecting an old thread - 14 years for instance this morning - one has to read ALL of the posts to see if a) it's relevant and hasn't been answered already and b) if we can make a meaningful contribution. It can be a real waste of time and put one off trying to help.

It would be better if the peep started a new thread, & add a link to the old thread.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    WillyEckerslike likes this.
  8. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

Too often it is not even a linked question but someone pushing their own product.

Surely, if someone wants to ask a question related to an old thread then it is not difficult to say: I have an XXXXXXX problem similar to te one in this thread {LINK} here is my explanation and pictures. Please help.

More often than not there will then be an exchange of posts and very little reference to the original - so what is wrong with starting a new thread that is dedicated to their problem?

9. MGW

MGW Well-Known Member

As an electrician there are important dates, 2001 we had BS7671:2001, in 2004 we had Part P, and in 2008 we had BS7671:2008 plus some amendments, so answers which were correct at the time, may not be correct now, so at least old treads need a warnings on them.

DIY womble and WillyEckerslike like this.
  10. facilities

facilities Guest

Hey Willy I must have missed this first time around,
    Anyway to the point, please stop interrupting Kiab when he is in full flow brown nosing will ya :D