Angled screwdrivers

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by ukwoody, Feb 25, 2004.

1. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Hi all,

do any of you use angled cordless screwdrivers? I was thinking about getting one for kitchen fitting. Are they worth it? What one's best?
    Any comments appreciated

Woody

2. help me :P

help me :P New Member

i am an apprentice for a kitchen fitter he uses them they are quite help full but do run down quite quick so try find an expensive on like makita for the best long life job

3. Kirby Castle

Kirby Castle New Member

All the kitchen fitters I know use the Festool. It has an interchangeable head that you can put a 90 degree chuck on instead (the 90 chuck is an option but most of the places that sell these have a package deal that includes extra batteries and the chuck etc)

It is a serious piece of kit - the batteries are charged full in 15mins and the quality is superb.

I have one of their circular saws that run on a guide for perfect cutting every time - I paid a lot for it but it is a brilliant tool and made extreamly well.

4. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

I must be honest and say I have never heard of Festool. Time for me to go and do some research.

Woody

5. Dewy

Dewy New Member

The American Quantum shopping programs used to sell a Skew-Driver.
    This could be used hand held or with a power tool.
    It could be bent & locked to almost any angle, even part way back on itself.
    They never had it on QVC though.
    It was one of the best tools like this I had seen. It even had an option for a sea version that was non rust.

6. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Dewy, they even made a cutting attachment... it was called the sea saw! groan! :)

Woody

7. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I wonder if it went up & down?

8. Markybob

Markybob New Member

Woody, try the Rutlands site, they sell the Festool range and lots more nice shiny stuff, nice free cat for the dunny too

9. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

I must be honest and say I have never heard of Festool. Time for me to go and do some research.

Time for you to start saving, too.

10. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

i am an apprentice for a kitchen fitter he uses them they are quite help full but do run down quite quick so try find an expensive on like makita for the best long life job

Ah - but do they run down because you're using the batteries in your wheelchair whilst he's not looking?

11. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Yikes, they might well be a nice pice of kit, with some excellent and well thouht out attachments, but I'd have to work for month to pay for one!
    Don't somehow think she'll go for that!
    Woody

12. Kirby Castle

Kirby Castle New Member

I did say they where expensive!

I got my circular saw from protrade ( http://www.protrade.co.uk ) and they are doing an offer for the drill with 2 batteries, offset chuck, 90 chuck, systainer cases (which are a brilliant idea!) and 2 batteries for £259.

On the same page is a deal for a Ryobi 14.4V set with a normal drill driver and an angled drill driver with 2 batteries for £99. I have an older Ryobi (6 years old now) and it has been used constantly and never let me down. Might be worth a look if the Festool is OTT.

13. ukwoody

ukwoody New Member

Kirby, I did notice that Ryobi deal. I do know that a few years back they went through a bad patch quality wise, and OI was a bit reluctant to look a it, but I may reconsider.

Any one else got a Ryobi?
    Woody

14. Neil

Neil Guest

15. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Lots of DW stuff on eBay all the time.

16. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

I've looked on ebay, how does it work with all this bidding and some of the stuff comes from the US? Anyone bought anything this way?

17. oggie

oggie New Member

Yo! ws
    On E-bay quite a lot get most of me plumbing stuff there latest buy was hilti TE- 75 with various bits 10mm to 30 mm plus 60 mm core bit spade and chisel was used but just serviced including postage was £175 at least 1400 quids worth but study the info and pics carefully set your mind on what you think its worth bid that amount if your out bid walk away.

18. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

You can find out all about bidding on the eBay site, and every item should say where the seller is - at least which country!

Basically the way that bidding is supposed to work for ordinary auctions is that everybody bids the maximum that they would be prepared to pay, and then at the end of the auction the person who bid the highest gets it, but they only pay the amount of the next highest bid plus one increment.

e.g. An item has an opening bid requested by the seller of £5. I think "I'd pay a tenner for that", so I bid £10, but the actual amount showing would be £5 - nobody would know what my maximum was, and if nobody else bid, I'd get it for £5. But you come along, and you think "I'll pay £8 for that" (remember, what you can see is a bid of £5), so you bid £8. As I'd already said I'd pay £10, my bid is automatically lifted to £8.50, you are instantly outbid. Now Fred comes along and thinks "I've always wanted one of those, I'd be happy to pay £20", so he bids £20, because I was already in at £10, his actual bid amount becomes £10.50, and unless somebody comes in and offers more than £20, Fred will win it.

It sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is - once you've bid a few times it all makes sense.

As for deciding on the items - the usual caveat emptor applies - check what the item is worth (e.g. what would a new one cost. I know it sounds incredible but on several occasions I've seen people pay more for a second hand thingy on eBay that it would cost to buy a new one). Decide what it is worth to you, and remember to allow for postage costs. If you're not in a hurry, and you want something that is commonplace, like DeWalt/Bosch/Makita power tools, then just watch for a few weeks to get familiar with prices. This can be important - often you will see the same seller offering the same items over and over again. What's probably happened is that he's gone to a bankruptcy sale, and bought a stack of <whatevers> and is flogging them off one at a time on eBay. If you see what they can go for you might decide to keep plugging away at a low price until you get lucky - e.g. if you would be happy to pay £100 but they quite often go for £80, why not keep bidding £80 or £81 until you win one; if you're in no rush why pay £100 if you could get it for £80 the following week?

All sellers have a feedback record, where previous buyers comment on their transactions, so if you see that someone has sold stuff hundreds of time before and nobody has complained then it's a safe bet that they aren't lying or planning to rip you off.

Watch out for postage charges - if the seller doesn't say what they are, find out before bidding, or you might be mightily pi$$ed off.

If the seller is near you, ask him if collection is an option - it often is, and for something heavy-ish like power tools this can not only save you money but also mean you can bid more for the item itself and increase your chances of winning it.

19. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

Thanks bas, "It sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is" it looked extremely complex with some offers too good to be true? It looks very easy to get ripped off but I'll watch it for a while.

Keith

20. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

Neil, thanks for the details of the DW960 I'm going to order one next week, I've read the reviews on the US sites and it sounds just the job for me, the 14v usually available is a bit underpowered.

Keith