Another bathroom paint question

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Maverick.uk, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Maverick.uk

Maverick.uk New Member

HI All,

Re doing the shower room, no issue with that. However the ceiling paint has peeled over the shower (again) and also a couple of other areas. Typically with the shower running steam condensates on walls and ceiling to point of forming drips etc. There is a extractor but I'm going to upgrade this to a larger unit as i don't think its man enough.

Anyway, trying to sort out ceiling and paint is coming off in sheets. Now i know about mist coating and it was mist coated twice before painting. Any ideas why this hasn't worked?

Plan is to use the Zinsser product noted on other posts but want to get some advise on base coat / mist and why this is happening before top coating.

Many Thanks

Kevin

2. KEVIN NAIRN

KEVIN NAIRN Member

Is your ceiling properly sealed? I like oil based stabilising solution. Sand the ceiling first to provide a key, then 2 coats of stabiliser (I use on walls before papering as well). Then the water based primer. There are special anti condensation paints for bathrooms but the substrate (surface) must be well sealed.

3. Allsorts

Allsorts Well-Known Member

Hi Mav.

If your ceiling is dripping condensation, then it's going to take something pretty special to withstand that. Surface condensation to some extent is pretty much unavoidable, but this should clear within - ooh - 5 minutes of the shower being finished? (Keep the fan running...!)

I would suggest you really do need to address this aspect first. That will likely involve upgrading your extractor fan as you suggest, but also looking at why the ceiling is so cold, as it appears. Is it an upstairs room? Can you get access to above the ceiling? Is there decent insulation there?

Perhaps the issue is exacerbated by poor surface preparation to begin with - paint not applied correctly. In which case you should be looking at removing all the remotely loose paint first - often a real pain. If some paint is clearly well attached, then it can hopefully be left, but that will introduce another issue of blending it in - feathering.

Anyhoo, I would go with what Kev says - get back to the bare plaster, give it a light sanding using 180 grit on a block, wipe clean and then apply a stabilising solution. Perhaps oil-based is better, I don't know, but I've always used water-based (everbuild 406) inside and out for any such dodgy surface issues. This stuff soaks in really well and should give a fantastic primed surface fr your new paint. It is also great to use - watery and easy to clean up.

Then use the best bathroom paint you can find. Or, as I tend to do, use masonry paint...

4. Dave Smyth

Dave Smyth New Member

you should have good ventilation in bathroom, reduce the condensation