Another help with this foghorn noise from plumbing

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Chrispee, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Chrispee

Chrispee New Member

Hi all

Hoping I can tap into the collective wisdom for some plumbing help. I have the dreaded foghorning through my pipes, frustratingly it happens at random times of day and night, never directly following the toilet being flushed/taps being run or hot water cylinder draining.

I'm in a top floor flat. I have a standard vented HW cylinder with cold tank in the loft. Ballcocks in the CW tank have been replaced (helpful maintenance man from the freeholder brought 2 down when he changed but technically the tank is my responsibility) but still it persists, though has changed in intensity and length (at times) The rising main to the CW tank had a very seized stopcock that is now moving. Turning this to fully closed does not stop the foghorning (could valve be knackered?). When i flush the loo (fed by mains) i can feel something in the tank feed (less water pressure?) When i had the noise tonight turning off the mains stopcock to the flat did not stop the noise either..it was vibrating through this stopcock. Weirdly in the boxed in cupboard for this main stopcock (with water meter) there are 2 stopcocks in parallel..not sure why this is?

Appreciate all the above is a lot but i've tried to educate myself on the issue but im at my wits end now ballcocks have been replaced. Would appreciated any help or advice. Thanks!

2. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

It could be a leaking underground mains pipe into the building. I've had those causing a noise before, usually at night when the static pressure in the pipework is at its highest.
    That may be your water authority's responsibility.

It could also (more likely) be a faulty toilet ball valve in one of your neighbour's flats. Now's the time to have a chat and get to know them, if you don't already.

3. Chrispee

Chrispee New Member

Hi Joe

Thanks for this, the noise is spread throughout the day but we never hear it in the middle of the night..maybe around bed time and then can be 7am which would siggest it corresponds to water flow from somewhere. Next step is to check if the loft tank ballcock cqn be used to start/stop it. Is it worth trying to swap anything out in my system? Toilet flush/fill valves or internal stop cocks. Neighbours are in housing association flats whereas mine I own so may be a bit more difficult to persuade them when its the freeholder who does maintenance for them. The difficulty in getting an expert round is that its so random and sporadic!

4. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

If turning off the mains stop tap to your flat (as long as it is indeed the right stop tap) didn't stop the noise, it does sound as though it's a problem elsewhere.

I'd ask your neighbours if they're getting it as well.

5. Chrispee

Chrispee New Member

The plot thickens. Turning off what i assume is the mains stopcock (it has the water meter enxt to it) overnight didnt stop the noise first thing the next morning. This being the case I assume the problem lies closer to home. Ive aquired a ladder to investigate the cold water tank which i've also tried isolating this evening to see if that has any effect as this is where the vibrating always seems to lead up to.