Another loft boarding question...

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by KME Electrical, Nov 7, 2019.

1. KME Electrical

KME Electrical New Member

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but I’ve read through multiple threads for an answer and each situation seems to be different.

I have existing joists 100x30 spanning 3m from the gable end wall to a centre structural steel.
    I need to raise the height for the loft insulation but also be strong enough for boarding and moderate storage, size would be 3mx4m
    I first looked at loft stilts but wasn’t sure how sturdy they would be on my existing joists.

Would an independent frame set above the existing joists, made of 3x2 joists, spanning 3m supported from the centre steel to the gable end wall be suitable for boarding and storage?

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

I've installed loft stilts for a client and was pleasantly surprised at how sturdy the final installation was.

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

I recently did up my sister-in-law's loft, and am extremely happy with the result.
    I laid 100mm Rockwool insulation between the existing 4x2 ceiling joists. I then installed a new set of 4x2 joists on top of and perpendicular to the original joists. I then rolled out another 100mm of Rockwool between these new joists. I finished the whole lot off with 22mm tongue and groove chipboard.
    It's now rock solid, spotlessly clean and a really great storage space. I'm sure it added a couple of grand to the value of her house, but only cost me a couple of days and a few hundred quid in materials.

koolpc likes this.
  4. KME Electrical

KME Electrical New Member

Yeah I was considering this method, my only issue is the span for doing it this way would be 4m which I might struggle to get those lengths into the loft.

5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

No harm in cutting them into lengths that will fit up there. I used 150mm long wood screws from our hosts to screw the new joists into the old ones. They ain't going nowhere!

6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

I did exactly what roger has done to the letter. Same result