Another newbie insulation testing question...

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Beacon, Mar 27, 2019.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Because if the neutral is connected to the bar when you test then you are testing every other circuit at the same time.

2. Beacon

Beacon Member

But the line conductor of the circuit is removed from the mcb for test - so cannot be testing L+N to E.
    Am testing all circuit neutrals plus this circuit's line to earth though - but why would that give such low readings?

3. peter palmer

You are testing all the lives of every other circuit as well

4. Beacon

Beacon Member

Reviving an oldish thread, advice please on insulation testing.
    I have been through a CU and got acceptable results for majority of circuits.
    2 circuits, one a final and the other a ring final.
    Following earlier advice I fully disconnected these circuits, line/cpc/neutral and tested cps to live+neutral, hoping to deal with any devices still connected.
    Both circuits still give very low results <0.5Mohms. Both circuits function just fine and are in a house approximately 30 years old. Last periodic test was 10 years ago, the results of which are not available.

Thoughts? Help? Thanks.

5. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Are you sure everything is unplugged? It happened to me and I found multiway extension blocks with LED's and surge protectors hidden in wardrobes, behind beds etc.

Kind regards

6. Beacon

Beacon Member

Thanks Bazza - Had a good go around and thought I'd found everything, but you can never be sure I guess.
    Wouldn't testing L+N to E get around this?

7. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Not with filters. They have capacitors connected to earth.

Kind regards

8. peter palmer

Easiest way to check is low ohms test live to neutral, any sort of reading and there is something plugged in.

9. Beacon

Beacon Member

Sorry for late reply - thanks to all for their input. My conclusion is that testing is the worst part of the job!