another price question

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by wiggy, Jun 30, 2009.

1. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

how much to cut the bottom off 1 exterior door and 1 interior door and fit a bath panel, for a neighbor in surrey

thanks

2. DewaltÆ User

DewaltÆ User New Member

I would charge no more than £40 depends on what the bath panel involves but other 2 doors are 20 mins each at a max,

3. tph1

tph1 Member

Cue idiot response thus :

£40 !! What about time to get to the job, insurances, tax, tool wear ??? How big is the bath ??? Is the bath panel made of abestos ? How big are the DOORS ? How many screws are holding each door on ? Are they rusty ? Is there a dragon guarding the doors ??

Wouldn't * on that job for less than £300 !

[Edited by: admin]

4. JarraMag

JarraMag New Member

I also think £40 is under priced.

It depends what sort of things you have to consider, like mentioned above. Petrol, travelling, is the job gonna be straight forward?

And i'm not the fastest person but dont think anyone could do that in 20 mins.

I would imagine the bath panel to be pretty straight forward. But depends on the doors, do you need to take much off the bottom of the external? Whats the frame like on the interior door? Does it need much off the door?

5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

the job is just over the road, so its a walk, the exterior door i am guessing is a fire door, as its a 1st floor flat with access via a hall, i also know its going to be more hassle than its worth,

6. handymanforhire

handymanforhire New Member

I think £40's way off the mark, personally...

With the best will in the world it's at least a couple of hours work, esp. if it's a fire door - and on the first floor...

Couple of hours of my time I'd be looking for £110; £90 if I'm feeling neighbourly. This is West London - Hammersmith, Chiswick, Fulham, round there.

HTH, Pete.

7. DewaltÆ User

DewaltÆ User New Member

Clown, no wonder the country is in a state if ya cant shoot a door in 20 mins you want shooting, no wonder the polish are getting all your work

8. DewaltÆ User

DewaltÆ User New Member

Christ its cut the bottom off 2 doors not re-arange their flowers and have a cup of tea and some brain surgery, just get ya circular saw out of the van

9. bigjules

bigjules New Member

2 hours tops - including a cup of tea and sweeping up, say £60

10. handymanforhire

handymanforhire New Member

"Clown"

You've seen the van, then, lol ;)

Think what you like - I do, and I think if you're half-way decent at what you do, then you're selling yourself short working for that kind of money; but if you're happy... shrug

Or maybe it's decent money where you are - though didn't you post on Audi's recent thread - this one - that you charge £60 for a door?? Why would you charge much less for a trim and re-hang? That's just weird business sense, to me.

As for the Poles getting all my work, errr... no, mate - we don't market ourselves to the same kind of clients, and I'm comfortably busy (booking late September at the mo) thanks.

As an aside - and not directed at anybody in particular, just a general observation - this board does appear to attract some folks who seem to take an almost fierce pride in how cheaply they can work. You don't get the sparkies arguing about how cheaply they could do a rewire, or the plumbers a bathroom refit. Most odd.

Cheers, Pete.

11. m x

m x New Member

My view on these kind of jobs is unless its (close) family or a very good repeat customer, then I charge £80 for half a day. This is my minimum charge for turning up to do some work for a customer. This may seem high for the amount of work involved but as I see it while your doing this "bit of a job" then your not getting paid off someone else.

I'm sure we have all had days when we have took home £200+ and felt like it was an easy day for decent money, then we have the flip of those days where you feel you've been underpaid at that amount.

My point is, you have to put a price on not only your time but your skills aswell.

The only way I would consider £40 for this is if I could just pop over at my convenience and squeeze the job in after hours or something. Even then I think I'd be doing it with a sour look on my face.

12. imran_

imran_ New Member

You should either charge nothing or your standard rates. Doing a favour is one thing, but this job is what pays the mortgage and food bill. Expecting it for free is akin to knocking on your door and just asking for the money.

You'll at least get loads of referral work and call-backs. When you have a minute can you just pop round and ...... ;)

13. tph1

tph1 Member

No-one has mentioned the dragon ?

14. gavin-t

gavin-t New Member

The dragon might be a little hottie so its worth under charging just to get a ogle at her!

Seriously tho somewhere around £10ish for the internal door, £15ish for the external and the bath panel? Well just charge a hourly rate for that? Something like £20/hour with a minimum of a hour charged.

Also dont forget if you have to put in new screws and silicone the bath panel in to charge for them too!

Gavin.

15. JarraMag

JarraMag New Member

I just read it again, is the internal door just taking some from the bottom? I thought it was to hang it.

16. big all

big all Screwfix Select

am i missing something here!!!!

if the front door is fitted and you remove an inch it then isnt a fitting door as its short !!!

is it an internal door front door with new flooring extending into the halway!!!

or are you hanging the door

big all

17. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

job done, i didn't do the bath panel, £50, i wouldn't normally do this type of work, but the neighbor asked and my mouth just opened and said yeah not a problem, just like it did when he asked me to rip up his bathroom floor and tile it, this sort of handyman/diy stuff is not what i do, but for some reason my mouth just opens and says yes, i think i will pass that one on

thanks for all the helpful advice.......

18. JarraMag

JarraMag New Member

Ah well job done, everyone's happy lol.

As for the saying yes when you dont mean to, I have the same problem. Then you get there and think why did I say yes to this!? lol.