Another roofing question

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Mr Kipling, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

I am in the process of fitting my extension roof. Its a half gable affair (lean too) 22 degrees. There is a run out of about 35mm over a 6m length between the house wall and the extension wall measured horizontally. I have started to put my roof joists up (6x2) bird mouth on the wall plates etc. My question is that this runout will affect the tile laying to some extent.
    Should I

A) Take up the runout by spacing the tile battens wonkily, like a fan effect. I'll be fitting about 6 battens. This may affect the lay of the tiles on each other.
    b) Keep the battens parallel to the facia/gutter and have the runout at the house wall which will be desguised by the lead flashing.
    c) use a much better method that I don't know about but soon will ;)

Your advice will be welcome.

While I'm here somebody mentioned on a earlier post that the cloaking is nailed to the barge board. Surely it is nailed to the underside of the tile batten, allowing the barge board to be changed once its rotted.

2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

if i understand what you mean by run out (the bearing wall and the wall plate arnt paralell)

on the carpentry side you are correct, calculate and cut each rafter indivdually

I cant directly answer the tiling question but if you loose / gain a bit of overlap on each run of tiles you will loose the run out

3. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

roofer will give the definitive answer

4. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Yes DD, you are correct. the walls are not parallel. A far easy way of explaining my predicament.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Definitely. 5mm on each tile is nufffin.

So moving your batten up 5mm, 10mm, 15mm.... isn't gonna be noticed.

Even less if you move them half up one side and half down the other. You'll have just 2½ - 3mm difference.

Oh, and by the by, the undercloak is definitely nailed to the bargeboard, or the end rafter in some cases.

Mr. Handyandy - really

6. ­

­ New Member

Just to add what's aready been said, if the rafters are 6m long then you'll have 20 courses of battens (assuming inerlocking tile, shallow pitch would assume this)

So you've got to 'lose' 35mm over 20 courses, that's 1.5mm each!

This would never notice. Some roof jobs we've seen have run out more than 15mm per course (10 times your 1.5mm) and even that is difficult to spot.

So, 1.5mm per course of batten is absolutely nothing unusual.

7. Roofer

Roofer New Member

You say you've got 6 battens but not what tiles you've got, but even so 35mm is nothing and won't be seen regardless of what tile it is, so do it as you say and lose a bit on each course.

The undercloak is put under and held in place by the battens and nailed onto the flying rafter if there is one or just bedded onto the outer skin of brickwork if there isn't, a roofer will not specifically nail into the bargeboard.

8. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Thanks guys for all your help. It looks like I have no worries. VCM, the roof joists are about 2.5m long the 6m is the width but I'm still confident all will work out OK now. I'll nail the cloak onto the ladder beam and place the tile batten on top and the membrain between cloak and beam.

Thanks again guys.

9. getroofingquotes

getroofingquotes New Member

Good luck! I hope all will turn out good.;)