Another shed power query...

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by sparky2475, Jan 20, 2021.

Tags:
  1. sparky2475

sparky2475 New Member

This isn't one of those 'how do I do it' posts but a 'does this seem reasonable' one. I realise every job has variables but based on the following info does this seem a reasonable quote? I need power to a shed from my consumer unit to feed 1 x double socket and a light with maybe some external garden light in the future. House built in 2001, Hager board with plenty of spares, run to shed approx 15m in a virtually straight line. Nothing pulling any real power maybe just the occasional domestic power tool, sander, drill etc. I'll be digging the trench for the cable myself during other landscaping. Cheapest quote of three obtained so far roughly £1,500 + vat. I'm not asking for an alternative quote just if this seems about right as it's over twice as much as the shed cost?

2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Sounds like a lot of labour in the quotes. Parts for such work are likely to cost less than £200.

3. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

£1500 and YOU are digging the trench?!

That sounds like an awful lot, do they need to do a lot of work inside the house to get the new feed back to the board?

As Comlec says, £200 would do the parts bill very nicely. I'm installing a shed myself at the moment and I'm looking at about that for the armoured cable, shed consumer unit, sockets, light etc.

Have they said what rating the new supply will be? It's not uncommon for people to overrate shed/garage supplies and claim they're "future proofing"

4. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Just as a guide, last year I did a small garage supply (Socket, lights and Garden socket) 25m SWA clipped, so no digging. Split tails > Switched Fuse > SWA >Garage CU.
    If I remember it was about £550 all in. (North London).

5. sparky2475

sparky2475 New Member

Bianco: The board is on the outside wall in an internal garage so straight through the wall to get outside and the supply quoted was 40 amp using a 10mm SWA? Labour wise it was based on 2 guys for 2-3 days (Manchester by the way).

6. BiancoTheGiraffe

That explains it... They've massively overrated everything (including the labour by the look of things!)

Unless your shed is the size of a football field, or you've expressed an interest in welding in there, they are taking the mickey big time.

A 2.5mm cable will do the job easily and give you 20+ amps to play with, more than enough for your lights and sockets for general use.

If you're digging the trench yourself, what on earth are two guys doing for a couple of days?!

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

‘I’m not asking for an alternative quote’

Actually, I think you should be ........

Get another two quotes in, explain what usage and power needs you have and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised by a lower quote

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  8. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Get another quote or two. That quote is taking the P.o_O

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  9. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

That's a real pi88-take. If you've dug the trench, it's a whole lot less than a day to connect it, test it, turn it on and submit the EIC to local building control. Most sparks' day rates are around £250, maybe a bit more in the south east.
    Our hosts sell 25m of 2.5mm2 3core SWA for £34, but if you look on line you can get custom lengths shipped to your door for much less.

10. sparky2475

sparky2475 New Member

Many thanks to everyone for all the responses. I did get other quotes but I think I may just stick with using the shed in the daytime as quote number two was a similar cost and quote number three said he wouldn't be comfortable connecting to a board that old and it would need to be replaced to comply with current regs. That one was closer to 2.5K! Thanks again and stay safe.

11. BiancoTheGiraffe

Where did you find these people?!

12. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Bloomin 'eck! Those prices!

My run to the shack is 25m and the calcs gave 4mm OK for 20A and 6mm OK for 32A, think 2.5mm is a bit undersized, 4mm is probably nearer the mark to at least 20A, might stretch to 32A.

Dx80 likes this.