Another skirting question

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mickman1234, Jul 21, 2020.

1. mickman1234

mickman1234 New Member

Hello All

Recently got the hallway retiled and want to put back on new skirting. Some of it had 60mm concrete screws used and other parts had glue and 50mm pins

Its masonry walls but there is dry lining outside that so cant use rawl plug

I would like to use glue and pins but not sure if its the best method for my setup ? I wonder why one panel had all concrete screws on it and others just had 1 or maybe none, would that because some walls are straighter than others ?

I do have a good drill and long drill bit for concrete screws but how can i drill the holes in the skirting and get the top of the screw sunken into the board so i can fill it ?

Thanks for any help

BTW i am a person who wants to do things right and be able to remove the skirting again in the future without damage.

2. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Hi

Concrete screws is overkill for skirting - fix the skirting using screws and plugs. 7mm drill bit and brown plugs, along with whatever screw length is necessary (3/4 inch). Having plasterboard doesn't rule out using rawl plugs - just means you should set the plug deep into the masonry to get a good hold. Add some gripfill behind the skirting too if you want some extra grab, (but may make removing it in the future an issue)

3. mickman1234

mickman1234 New Member

Thanks , stupid question but long should the rawl plugs be ? And how can i hide the screw head in the skirting ?

4. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

rawl plugs are determined by diameter, not length. Different brands do different lengths, but they're usually 30-40mm long.

Use a countersink bit on the skirting to allow the screw head to sit beneath the surface, then just use wood filler/poly filler to fill and sand smooth

5. mickman1234

mickman1234 New Member

btw why are concrete screws overkill when the work needed is similar?

6. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

You can use concrete screws, i guess it comes down to personal preference & what you're comfortable/experienced with.

7. mickman1234

mickman1234 New Member

ok thanks and one last question. What size countersunk drill bit would you use for a concrete screw, its 6mm for all the holes in masonry but would it be 7 or 7.5 to make the hole in the skirting for the concrete screw?

8. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

if you're using a 6mm screw, then you need red rawl plugs (6mm). For the skirting, expand to 7mm to so the screw doesn't bind, (but depends on the size of the screw head also, don't want it slipping through the skirting!).

Countersink bit should be slight bigger than the screw head, just drill just deep enough so the screw sits below flush

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Stick the lot back on with foam... Simple. Why complicate things

Mr Rusty and Squashrobinson like this.
  10. mickman1234

mickman1234 New Member

And what if the walls are not straight ?

11. mickman1234

mickman1234 New Member

Thanks. What i meant was that all concrete screws use a 6mm bit but the screws themselves are 7.5mm so i guess a countersunk bit of 8mm will do the trick

12. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

If not straight then you need to screw. Most of the time you let it ride and back fill.

13. mickman1234

mickman1234 New Member

Ok thanks. will give it a go this way first so and if its not good then ill use a concrete screw

Thanks for all the help

14. mickman1234

mickman1234 New Member

Can you recommend a good foam ? I fill the holes with foam then use glue on the boards ?

15. mickman1234

mickman1234 New Member

there are parts of the plaster board broken off after removing the skirting so would the foam / glue work just securing the top of the board if there was a gap further down so the glue wouldnt have anything to adhere to

16. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I spray mist with water then any foam seems to do the job. Foam sticks to damp. Ware gloves and decorator wipes will remove foam so have to hand. Use metal gun and only £10 from B&Q. Bargain.. Foam is foam to me but have a look around for different types but I don't see much difference. . Blow gun out with a can of foam cleaner and that's handy to have anyway to pray end of gun with the removable tip as it sprays and screws on gun. . So gun. Foam. Foam cleaner what screws on gun when job has finished. Tip. For fine filling put mastic nozzle on the end of gun.... All easy to work out

17. I would like to see you using no 12 (6mm) screws with red plugs, the hole size for the plug is 5.5mm. The smallest plug would be 7mm and that is tight.

18. Squashrobinson

Squashrobinson Active Member

Definitely stick them, don't faff around with mechanical fixings for a little skirting board.

Wayners likes this.
  19. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Use a low expansion adhesive foam like instastik

20. mickman1234

mickman1234 New Member

Ok I’m going to use the foam , will buy the foam , gun and cleaner tomorrow

how should I keep the skirting in place for the half hour while it cures ?

my skirting will be going on to plasterboard which is on to block so I can’t simply use pins to hold it in place as they would have to be long to go through to wall to get a hold

Is it simply enough to just put a few packs of timber flooring up against it ?