anti-slip 'paint' for decking

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Porkie, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Porkie

Porkie New Member

Have been asked if there is an anti-slip paint that can be used for decking. Found Cuprinol anti-slip decking treatment....anyone know if its actually any good or can you recommend something else?

Cheers

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

None are any good after a while, all decks get slippery in our climate. That is why they are a bad idea.

3. Binfield Carpenter

Binfield Carpenter New Member

Many years ago, before I know better, I made a large deck in my own garden. My main mistake was to lay it with the grooves on the upper side. I thought they would give good grip: true when new and dry but they collect water which soaks saturates the wood and collect algae which turns the deck into a wonder zero friction green ice rink. Too late to reverse the boards but I deal with it by spraying every few months with an anti-algal solution (think its called Armaritox but I'll check tomorrow). Just mix with water and use a garden sprayer - only takes a few minutes to do the whole thing. After ten days the algae has gone and stays away for a few months.

4. slapiton

slapiton New Member

bleach in summer salt in winter sorted.

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Mmmm does wonders for your plants!