Any chance of some advice - joists and floorboard overhang

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by phils86, Jul 12, 2018.

1. phils86

phils86 New Member

[​IMG]

Sorry for just rocking up and asking for advice but I'm totally stuck on this one!

I was planning on installing a 1400x700 shower tray in the space shown in the pic but there's a bit of a curveball in there as it's just above the stairs. There's a beefy joist running all the way under the center line of the shower but on the left hand side of the joist in the pic, near the wall, the floorboards just overhang (you can just about see the plasterboard underneath sloping upwards for the stair entry below). They have some diagonals nailed in for some extra support I assume and something to nail the plasterboard to below.

My concern is that if somebody stands on the unsupported side of the joist, there may be a tiny amount of flex that may crack the base.

What do you think my options are?

cheers

Phil

2. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Looks like they run all the way under that stud wall.

3. phils86

phils86 New Member

Not quite, its slightly staggered but starting 3 to the left of the section I cut out they just overhang the joist.

4. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

5. Neil1987

Neil1987 Member

What's the floorboards under wall sitting on surly on a joist or something?

6. phils86

phils86 New Member

Definitely get whats going on behind it but not sure if I'm stressing too much about the overhanging boards allowing the tray to bow. Heres another pic with green area showing tray footprint and red area showing the overhanging floorboards [​IMG]

7. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

You ideally want ply down anyway, so remove floor boards and try and get some extra noggins in.

8. Neil1987

Neil1987 Member

If they are bouncing just now well I wouldn't stick tray on top, would you think about raising it up of floor a few inches then you could screw a fillet to wall and bridge bouncing floor?
    Yeah but when your saying overhanging boards you mean that tray isn't on top of joist? If the floor boards go under wall and rest on a joist then this won't matter

9. Neil1987

Neil1987 Member

If they don't rest on a joist then think about raising tray of floor a few inches and screw fittlet onto wall

10. phils86

phils86 New Member

Its really only that red area that has the overhanging boards, the green area has a joist underneath (blue line).

[​IMG]

11. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

What is the stud wall hiding?

12. phils86

phils86 New Member

Its the other side of this wall on the way up the stairs:

[​IMG]

13. phils86

phils86 New Member

I'm thinking sitting it on a 3x2 timber frame with ply on top and screwing it to the floorboards and stud walls might do the trick as a decent base. What do you think?