Any ideas how to knock these out?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dvddvd, Mar 21, 2020.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I want to make some suitable boards to paint on (like a box canvas) Around 600mm x 900mm.

I would use box canvases but they are a little springy and I will be sticking vinyl letters on them.

I would get some 12mm MDF and put a frame around them to stop them warping. But ive bought before from B and Q before due to the cutting service and by the time i get them home and painted both sides they have warped?

So I was thinking making a 2 x 1 frame and fixing something onto the face to paint and stick vinyl letters on? any ideas ? As cheap as possible ?

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Certainly, a good boot to the testicles then a fine righthander to the chin should work wonders....... Oh, sorry, thought you were on bout something else.......

Lots of firms with warehouses have stacks of pallets that they want shot of for nothing, cut them the dimensions you want then pin 6mm MDF to the face, voila, a canvas fit for a skinflint!

wiggy likes this.
  3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Get yourself on FB market place or gumtree etc and search pine bed frames, a lot of the time they are offered for free or silly money, there is a lot of wood in the slats, all very useable, also the sides once any supports are taken off.
    And who doesn't like free wood.

Solid wood Wardrobes is another one to look out for, and cots if you happen to need a load of dowel

These sites are full of free useable wood if you look. And can be bothered

My inner pikey has wanted to spend the day picking stuff up but I haven't got round to it yet as the transit is holding up the static.

Pallets is another good one if you break them down cleanly but its a bit of work, you will get a m2 out of a pallet, I picked up a couple of double size few months back, good lengths of useable timber.

Jord86 likes this.
  4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Inner pikey :D mine can’t get out of the basement, just spends all day stripping cable.

wiggy likes this.
  5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

:D
    Back in the day we would drive around in an mk3 cortina with a trailer picking up scrap motors on the local council estate, no one ever got asked, I guess today you would call that car theft :D:D:D
    How times have changed

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Wiggy’s Independant Trailers. Complete with Covid-19 protective suit.

upload_2020-3-22_11-8-12.jpeg

wiggy likes this.
  7. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

OK Rodders pipe down.