Any issue with bend in pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by leeroy337, Sep 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. leeroy337

leeroy337 New Member

Hello SF

I am looking to raise the towel radiator off the floor onto the wall, as when you sat on the toilet straight you would burn your leg (note to self check this when buying houses).

With everything stripped back, and the location of the stud base and joists, will there be any issues in running 15mm speedfit through the joists and up through the baseplate and any tips for doing so? I don't have access to the rear for elbow joints or similar.

It looks like original builders had something similar at the other end of the wall, but unsure as to if this is sensible way to proceed. Pics are attached

thanks

Lee

Attached Files:

2. Sorry I have no idea what you are on about. Probably me. But that is some ugly plumbing!

Joe the Plumber likes this.
  3. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Do you mean just lift the whole towel rad up so it’s a few feet off the ground? If so, no problem to extend the pipes up in the stud wall. Might look a bit odd though.

4. leeroy337

leeroy337 New Member

Sorry not being clear. The old towel radiator was fed from floor pipes but want to lift about a metre of the ground so change pipes to wall fed/mounted. Need to extend current pipes which will mean drilling through joist and bottom of stud wall and running pipe at this angle which looks pretty tight.

First pic is where original builders did something similar, not very good picture but you can just make out a cut off pipe running through bottom of wall and out through joist. Bit of a mess though like you say so just want to see if this is the best way to do it rather than cutting corners which I'm finding they did.

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

I think the issue is the sole plate is sitting on the joist , or very near to it ,and leroy337 wants to bring pipes up through the sole plate ,into the stud wall. So no pipes visible ,except where they exit the wall ,high up ,to go into the rad.
    Edit ... The op types faster than me !!!

6. It's unusual to find the floor flush with the joist.
    Can you not get access to the other side of this joist and then you only have to drill through the base of the stud?
    Then what you can do is make a T a few feet away and reduce down to 10mm plastic and then you'll have no problem feeding that up into you stud.

7. Are we thinking that it's a double joist then?

8. leeroy337

leeroy337 New Member

Haha yep that's right Terry, just to see if any issues running pipe at this sort of angle and any tips. Or just drill couple of 20mm holes through sole plate and joist and feed it through (maybe with pipe prebent a little)

9. If it is then you might be better trying to get above the floor in an adjacent stud wall that runs across the joists and running your 10mm around within these walls.

10. leeroy337

leeroy337 New Member

Thanks for replying. I've put a camera through a hole on that just and there's is another joist but a few inches away. This is stopping me accessing from the other side of the wall.

Id not thought about running up another wall and round though, just tunnel vision on that route so I'll definitely look at that:)

11. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Run this idea up the flagpole !!
    Cut a slot in the chipboard floor ,and a small notch in the sole plate ,both just enough to accommodate the pipe diameter and elbow up .
    So the pipe will run at the floor level, pipe now sits where chipboard was.
    You would use copper pipe and soldered elbow though.

12. leeroy337

leeroy337 New Member

Interesting, never seen that before but gets around issue. If I do this ill just have to make sure nothing gets secured to the floor where the pipe now sits tho. Cheers

13. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

You could fit metal plates over the pipes for protection,what flooring are you putting down ?

14. leeroy337

leeroy337 New Member

Going to go for elements board wall and floor

15. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

HI.
    I have to agree with NoOHM.
    What a mess that lot is.
    I served a fully 5 yeas plumbing appentiship.
    If my " Master " has seen I had done that mess.
    I would still be tied to the 4 inch cast iron soil pipe
    with a length of spun yarn.

Johnny M