Any such thing as a fail over / safety net for end feed joints.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Ched Hughes, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ched Hughes

Ched Hughes New Member

Hi,

I have just had some central heating re-plumbed in my lounge. The 15mm copper pipework is under the crawl space and once the floor goes back down it will not be a simple task to get access to the pipes again. (impossible without causing damage to my new oak floor covering.)

My question is this; is there such a thing / product out there that anyone can recommend to use in addition to the end-fed solder joint. I was picturing a bandage, special tape or putty type product that could be added to the joint as a safety net / fail over, should the solder joint decide to fail in the future.

I know some will say a good plumbers joint should last and not fail. However, I am in a position to want extra precaution and any ideas would be appreciated.

PS. First Post :D

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

A soldered joint if done correctly shouldn't fail,also would insulate all pipes while you have the chance.

No chance of access hatch in the floor in a cupboard or out of site somewhere,might one day need to gain access to crawl space, shame to ruin a good floor.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  3. Ched Hughes

Ched Hughes New Member

Thanks KIAB,
    I thought that might be the general answer, as I have never had a good joint ever go. But with modern technology, I thought I would ask.

Yes, i have some 25mm wall insulation ready to fit.

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

I agree with KIAB, but it doesn't seem that you're going to sleep easily until you have a solution to your very unlikely problem, so ...
    Instead of laying your oak floor in a way that makes it well nigh impossible to lift without damage, perhaps you should lay it in a way in which it can be removed for servicing the extremely unlikely plumbing failure. You could put down a subfloor in plywood or chipboard, and then lay the oak flooring as a floating floor. i.e. not screwed into the subfloor at all. If ever you have a problem with the plumbing, you could lift the oak floor, plank by plank, and without damage, then unscrew the subfloor, fix your plumbing and reverse the process. It's far more than I would ever do, but I am fortunate to be able to sleep easily at night knowing full well that there are dozens of potential failure points all over my house. :)

5. andy48

andy48 Active Member

As said above, a properly made soldered joint won't fail. Rather than looking for a "fail safe" patch (which I don't think exists), I'd suggest the following before the floor goes down:

1. Wipe all pipework, and particularly joints, down with a wet cloth to make sure all flux residue is removed.
    2. Try and arrange for there to be a reasonable amount of play in the pipes coming up through the floor to radiators etc. so that radiator swaps can be accomplished without under floor access.
    3. Get all the pipework hydraulically pressure tested. The norm is 1 1/2 times the normal working pressure for an hour. To allow for a combi in fault condition at 3 bar, I'd suggest testing at 5 bar, and letting the test go overnight. Make sure all components which can't stand 5 bar are isolated from the system before the test.

If you still get a problem after the above, the fates are against you!

6. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

As above re: a good joint, but if you're really bothered you could wrap Denso tape over it aswell.

7. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

Soldered joints won’t fail if done correctly. But even many plumbers do not know how to solder correctly, often due to bad training when they started to the plumbing trade, or just careless, lazy attitude.
    Fittings and pipe clean and full in with no risk of slipping out and enough heat over the joints to keep the solder drawing in, will guarantee it is fully soldered.
    A combi system, or any sealed system at least has the advantage of showing a pressure drop.

8. Ched Hughes

Ched Hughes New Member

Thanks everyone,
    as I said in my question, I know a good joint should't fail. However, I was just enquiring as to the availability of a fail over product.

As you are all confident, based on a good fitting connection, I shall sleep stress free knowing that I don't have a ticking time bomb under my lovely floor :D

9. exbg

exbg Member

Any excuse to boast about your new floor.

:)